Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> replacing z270 and i7 7700k with z390 and i7 9700k (Sierra 10.12.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z270 Gaming M7
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Hi everybody and thanks even if in late for all the support I have received from this forum with my first build.
Unfortunately my mobo is giving me some trouble (hardware problem) so that I have to replace it... I did my first build more than 1 year ago and I'm a bit afraid of jumping in the process again.... no that it as been difficult... actually the opposite, but informatics is not my field and I get a bit stressed, but I like to lean how to solve my problem with a bit of patience... now I have to buy a new mobo and cpu and I'm thinking to go with the Tuf z390 gaming plus or pro ( still have to understand which on is better) and the i7 9700 .... and as long I have no problem with my gtx1080, I would like to stay on Sierra 10.12.6.... do I have to reinstall everything ? it is possible with some little "magic tricks" to let my working Sierra to boot with the new mobo and Cpu, without struggling to much? or I have to start from 0 again? I still have the usb boot device with the Sierra installer I used 1 year ago.

thanks in advance for your help guys!

Hi everybody and thanks even if in late for all the support I have received from this forum with my first build.
Unfortunately my mobo is giving me some trouble (hardware problem) so that I have to replace it... I did my first build more than 1 year ago and I'm a bit afraid of jumping in the process again.... no that it as been difficult... actually the opposite, but informatics is not my field and I get a bit stressed, but I like to lean how to solve my problem with a bit of patience... now I have to buy a new mobo and cpu and I'm thinking to go with the Tuf z390 gaming plus or pro ( still have to understand which on is better) and the i7 9700 .... and as long I have no problem with my gtx1080, I would like to stay on Sierra 10.12.6.... do I have to reinstall everything ? it is possible with some little "magic tricks" to let my working Sierra to boot with the new mobo and Cpu, without struggling to much? or I have to start from 0 again? I still have the usb boot device with the Sierra installer I used 1 year ago.

thanks in advance for your help guys!

I don't think Sierra has hardware support for the Z390 and the 9th generation CPUs.

If you want to stay on Sierra 10.12.6, I recommend you find a (second hand?) 200 series motherboard and reuse your 7700K.

thanks for the reply, but honestly it seems like a stupid investment in this moment..... cost me more a z270 than a z390.... ( and they are actually refund me the old mobo and Cpu) so that I was trying the jump.... I'll do a few hours research to understand clearly the driver situation for my gtx 1080 on High Sierra.... if Sierra is not possible I may have to migrate...... would I have any problem on HSierra?

thanks for the reply, but honestly it seems like a stupid investment in this moment..... cost me more a z270 than a z390.... ( and they are actually refund me the old mobo and Cpu) so that I was trying the jump.... I'll do a few hours research to understand clearly the driver situation for my gtx 1080 on High Sierra.... if Sierra is not possible I may have to migrate...... would I have any problem on HSierra?

You may try to use a FakeCPUID to fake the CPU as a Kaby Lake (0x0906E9) to see if Sierra can boot on your new motherboard and CPU, but if not I think you will have to migrate to High Sierra. High Sierra has native support for Coffee Lake hardware and should work with your new hardware.

Understand that older versions of MacOS most likely will not support new hardware. So upgrading to brand new hardware will mean upgrading the OS also in most cases, provided that the new version does support the new hardware. In your case you are also restricted by your graphics card and you can't upgrade to Mojave at this time, due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers, unless and until Nvidia does its job releasing the drivers.

You may try to use a FakeCPUID to fake the CPU as a Kaby Lake (0x0906E9) to see if Sierra can boot on your new motherboard and CPU, but if not I think you will have to migrate to High Sierra. High Sierra has native support for Coffee Lake hardware and should work with your new hardware.

Understand that older versions of MacOS most likely will not support new hardware. So upgrading to brand new hardware will mean upgrading the OS also in most cases, provided that the new version does support the new hardware. In your case you are also restricted by your graphics card and you can't upgrade to Mojave at this time, due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers, unless and until Nvidia does its job releasing the drivers.

Again thanks a lot for the response. I just bought the z390 and the 9700, tomorrow I'll have to send back my old one. at this point I take a deep breath and try to sort everything out with high Sierra. would it work if I directly update? or I have to do for sure a fresh install? and in the first case I assume I would have to do something to let the new hardware been recognised ? update the clover perhaps?

hello, i want to give an upgrade of my situation here, i was going to fresh install high sierra , that was ready to go on my usb drive, but before that i have seen the old uefi partition, and i choosed to give it a try, and boom, sierra load apparently with no problem at all ( i will test it asap). the only little problem that i have to figure it out is with the bios i guess... to start the installation process i did some change in the bios as i had to, but now when i restart... it shut down, and when i try to restart the pc it can't load and doesnt enter the bios neighter just keep on restarting beefore even first beep. i have to power off and on again from the psu than it will enter bios in safe mode, and from that i can actually boot with no problem win or mac.... any idea?

i forgot to say, mobo is TUF Z390-PRO GAMING

ok just little mistake with the bios setting( was following the wrong bios setting ) following the info for the TUF 370 did the trick for the 390.... now the only thing I miss to fix is the audio card.... I do have audio trough the Displayport on my monitor, but not from the mobo.... anyone got solution for Realtek s1200a Codec?

edit : found the solution for the audio here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-asus-tuf-z390m-pro-gaming-i7-9700k-rx-580.264723/page-5 ( many thanks to @toleda)

now is everything up running again.

resuming I replaced msi z270 and cpu i7 7700k with Tuf z390 pro gaming and i7 9700k on my dual boot windows 10 and Sierra 12.6. reinstalled just windows, while Sierra loaded with no problem, apart from audio that had to be fixed with new AppleAlc.kest and lilu.kext (an other time thanks to @toleda)

Last edited:
ok just little mistake with the bios setting( was following the wrong bios setting ) following the info for the TUF 370 did the trick for the 390.... now the only thing I miss to fix is the audio card.... I do have audio trough the Displayport on my monitor, but not from the mobo.... anyone got solution for Realtek s1200a Codec?

edit : found the solution for the audio here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-asus-tuf-z390m-pro-gaming-i7-9700k-rx-580.264723/page-5
now is everything up running again.

resuming I replaced msi z270 and cpu i7 7700k with Tuf z390 pro gaming and i7 9700k on my dual boot windows 10 and Sierra 12.6. reinstalled just windows, while Sierra loaded with no problem, apart from audio that had to be fixed with new AppleAlc.kext and lilu.kext

So you were able to boot Sierra 10.12.6 on Z390 / 9700K? Did you only use a FakeCPUID as I suggested, or did you do anything extra?

This is something I may want to try in the future myself so I am interested in your experiences.

I just plugged my old ssd :) let me know where I should find it and I'll check for you.... I'm not the expert, I did my first install as vanilla following guide here and there, but that was nearly 2 years ago...... let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back