Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
Is it possible to rename a Linux EFI boot entry in Clover? I have used Clover Configurator on the Mount EFI tab to identify the Disk UUID (the Volume UUID shows 'N/A') of the Linux partition, but if I create a custom boot entry for it to rename it (using 'Linux', 'All Linux Kernal' or 'Other' as volume type, it doesn't work. The Boot log shows me no further relevant information regarding the Volume UUID. I have no problem renaming and hiding any of the other boot entries in Clover for Windows and OS X. Cheers.

Edit: Solved (deleted unnecessary folder(s) in Linux EFI partition)

Last edited:
If you select the drive in the Clover boot menu and then press the spacebar doesn't that identify the drive for you ?

Thanks v.much. Creating a GUI custom entry (to rename) with this UUID resulted in 2 Linux boot entries appearing in Clover not 1 with my chosen custom title 'Manjaro KDE': one being the main boot entry for Grub/Manjaro and the other being the Windows Boot Loader EFI, shown also as an Ext4 volume (which if clicked on loads Windows 8 not Grub). There is already a separate Windows 8 boot entry in Clover. I have tried various edits in the GUI custom entry (and also using a second custom 'hide' entry using the Manjaro UUID and also the Win EFI UUID) to exclude the Windows Boot Loader EFI labelled as Linux from Clover without success, all they seem to do is keep the 2nd unwanted boot entry as 'Manjaro KDE' and default the main Grub/Manjaro boot entry back to its original title 'Boot Manjaro EFI booot menu from EFI'. It doesn't actually hide either of them.

My architecture:
NVMe 1: OS X 10.14 (default EFI partition)
NVMe 2: Windows 8.1, Manjaro KDE (one EFI partition)
Fusion Drive: OS X 10.12.6 (two EFI partitions, one of each drive)

My set up featured all of the above minus Linux, which I installed (in parallel to Windows, not manually) without removing any of the other drives. I had to replace the contents of the main default EFI folder on NVMe 1 with a back up (pre-Linux) as it would boot me straight into Grub. I do not have a back up of the Windows 8 EFI folder to replace the existing with as a test. I removed the Manjaro folder from the main Clover EFI folder on NVMe 1 and it doesn't seem to matter where I put it, Manjaro still boots up if I click on Manjaro in Clover. I cannot see a Manjaro EFI folder from Windows Partition Manager, all NVMe 2 is showing is a recovery partition, an EFI partition, Windows partition and Manjaro partition.

Last edited:
Solved: If one is to create a dedicated Linux EFI partition to boot from, then it should only have one bootable file in it. 2 types of Linux I've installed (Manjaro KDE & Antergos KDE) have put another boot folder in the Linux EFI partition which needs to be removed if you are going to rename Clover boot entries (as both will have the same UUID). In the case of Antergos, what gave it away was a Microsoft folder named 'BOOT' it put in there as part of its installation, which appeared in Grub as a Windows entry but was not bootable. Removing this BOOT folder (by going into Linux and using Gpart to change the flags from 'esp' and 'boot' to 'msftdata', then going in with the file explorer Dolphin, removing the second entry leaving only the main Grub entry, then going back into GPart and changing the flags back to 'boot' and 'esp' so the EFI folder is automatically mounted every time you boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back