2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I've been editing a 2 disc long middle school play.... been working on this on and off since Friday using Final Cut and Motion 5.

Finally Sunday I'm done and now doing the final export to Compressor, I got Disc2 finished and done, and now trying to get Disc1 video to successfully export.. but Compressor keeps on giving me weird Quicktime errors! My computer also seems to "hang".... and only doing a force shutdown of Compressor and Final Cut Pro seems to be the only solution to recover from this hang.

You know what they say... always save your work, so I hit command-Save, quit the program and rebooted the mac. Maybe that will fix the problem.

Upon reboot, when I tried to open the FCP file again, I got a Final Cut Error... I checked the filename, and discovered it was ZERO BYTES long! All that work during the weekend GONE!!!!! DISC2 fcp was completely gone, and I manage to find an older version (Saturday version) of Disc1 fcp. The consolation for me is I have a good Compressor export of Disc2 (even though I lost my original disc 2 fcp).

.... well, I traced the problem to my Western Digital 1.5TB WDEARS drive... somehow, it half-died Sunday night. Reading multi-gigabyte files from it is not a problem... but the write function seems to have died. I tried writing or copying even a 1KB file to the same drive and it hangs forever.... and instead creates or overwrites the original file with a now 0KB sized file. DAMN YOU WESTERN DIGITAL!

I manage to salvage my work by copying all the good files and recreating my Disc1 fcp and exporting it to another drive (Seagate) and Compressor finished the job successfully. I will NEVER NEVER EVER AGAIN buy Western Digital.... and never ever buy anything that says "green".... Green=Crap! Western Digital = Crap!

You know I had the same problem with both a WD and Samsung drive last year :) It doesn't matter the drive manufacturer it will happen to all drives at some stage.

This is why some people are pedantic about using RAID1 (as a minimum) for any data drives when working on large projects.

Sorry it happened to you, just glad like me you could still read off of the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back