Contribute
Register

Random Kernel Panic and no idea what to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
given that this is happening in "google chrome he" (which I assume is either chrome itself, or the chrome helper), do these random KP's go away if you remove the chrome helpers from startup?

these can be found in:

/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems

i wonder if this is flash or shockwave related....

i used to get KPs from the chrome helper. i no longer use chrome on OS X (i switched to safari).

hmm, not a lot of information in that kernel panic. do you have any overclocking? does it happen at all in windows? might be worth seeing if you can disable some BIOS features and looking at a guide for your specific board. it doesn't look like a driver is causing it at least.

Thanks for looking into it. The system is not overclocked and I do not know if I would experience crashes in Windows because I don't have it installed at all.

I'll see if my BIOS is like any one described in the guides.

given that this is happening in "google chrome he" (which I assume is either chrome itself, or the chrome helper), do these random KP's go away if you remove the chrome helpers from startup?

these can be found in:

/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems

i wonder if this is flash or shockwave related....

i used to get KPs from the chrome helper. i no longer use chrome on OS X (i switched to safari).

Thanks for helping!

I will remove the chrome helpers from startup and see if this solves the problem. If it crashes again I will post a new screenshot, and remove Chrome completely and see it that might help.

Do you think updating to Mountain Lion might make it better or worse? I have not done it yet not to introduce another variable while trying to troubleshoot this...

Oddly enough I cannot find Chrome helper in the startup...

Here's what I have in those folders:

*** Library/StartupItems

One folder called ProTec6b with inside

DemoOver
Nelpeirond6b
ProTec6b
StartupParameters.plist

*** Library/LaunchAgents

com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist
com.divx.dms.agent.plist
com.divx.update.agent.plist
com.google.keystone.agent.plist
com.maintain.CocktailPurgeInactiveMemory.plist
com.maintain.CocktailSystemEvents.plist
net.culater.SIMBL.Agent.plist

*** Library/LaunchDaemons

com.adobe.fpsaud.plist
com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist
com.apple.aelwriter.plist
com.apple.remotepairtool.plist
com.bombich.ccc.plist
com.google.keystone.daemon.plist
com.icyblaze.iDocumentHelper.plist
com.maintain.CocktailScheduler.plist
com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

Am I too sleepy to see it? I looked in the two Google ones but do not seem related to Chrome to me...

uninstalling chrome is a bit of an art, it looks like. at least, per my initial 'google' for how this is done.

i think it's now supported from within chrome itself.

regardless, if you were to look in /Applications/Chrome.app/etcetera/etcetera/.. you might find something as well.

you may also find items in starting from your /user/yourusername/...

but uninstalling and reinstalling may be your best bet

an application would not cause that type of panic. unless chrome is the only thing causing the panics, but i doubt it based on the panic.

After uninstalling Chrome the system has not crashed.... yet...

It's too early to be sure, but in the last week I had been experiencing at least a kernel panic per day, and not I have not had one for two full days.

If (and it's a big if) I do not get any kernel panic anymore, should I try reinstalling Chrome? What I mean to ask is: could it be that a new installation would not cause the problem I was experiencing?

So... it did not crash for a while after removing Chrome... until today.

Obviously it is not Chrome per se that causes the kernel panic. If it is of any interest I was browsing the internet with safari when it happened. I attach the kernel panic report it printed:

Attachments

• Second Crash.jpg
    Second Crash.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 501
try and run memtest, ideally you should try and run it in single user mode. might also be good to run it in linux to rule out OSX.

try and run memtest, ideally you should try and run it in single user mode. might also be good to run it in linux to rule out OSX.

I run it twice without errors, although I am not sure I understand what "in single user mode" means...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back