Contribute
Register

Random freezes. Hackintosh 2 secs away from sledge hammer. [GA-Z87M-D3H + 4770k + GeForce 8800Ultra]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hars, can you report back if it wasn't your wifi card? I'm curious if that was the cure.

There are tons of Mavericks Crashing threads out there (most for actual Apple hardware), and a million stab-in-the-dark solutions.

Mark, I'm having the exact same problem as you I think... It's very frustrating.

I'm about 5 seconds away from giving up on the whole Hackintosh idea, and just put windows on it. :banghead:

I tried memtest, but the computer freeze almost instantly after giving the command in the terminal to run it.

Update...

Mine has now been working since the morning, without issues. What did I do? PLUG in my USB WLAN ADAPTER! o_O

I installed drivers for it late last night, and then my problems starter... Most likely, because of me plugging it out afterwards.

I can't be a 100% sure this is the reason, but right now it's been stable for a good while.

hello, I too have had similar problems to those described by you, when I built my first hack ...... I have solved the problems of random freeze replacing memory modules are incompatible with my motherboard.You can try to see the "list of qualified vendor" of your mother board brand ..... for me it worked, I had no more 'problems with memory modules 100% compatible.

Great if it was your wifi card, but I second the concerns about you GPU. I had similar trouble installing 10.9 on another MB but using an 8800 GT. It would boot to the desktop, but as soon as I tried to just about anything 9 out of 10 times I would get a KP. Backtraces were always something graphics related. Switched to the Intel gfx and everything was fine. Eventually bought a 640 to replace the 8800 just to have things running smooth. Those 8800 had an amazing lifespan.

I got similar problems when using USB3. Mouse, keyboard and bluetooth dongle are fine. But as soon as I copy via my USB3-SATA-Dock, the system crashes after coping a few gigabytes. I could reproduce it as often as I want.
Otherwise everything works fine.

Well I have this same motherboard, albeit not for a hack, it's a business computer. Gotta tell you there are random shutdowns with this one even with one stick of memory. So this might be a hardware/ memory issue. Found out some people fixed their memory compatibility problem (mind you the problem only shows while in OS [win7 in this case but as I see here it's also an issue in OSX] memtest from a boot usb/ cd works just fine) at random times even under minimal load (web browsing) There for I think this is an issue with the board itself, and haswell itself, because some z87 asus boards seem to have similar issues. Solution some peeps have, is to drop the memory speed to 1333 :(,.
Also there is a bios power loading setting that helps with some of the random reboot shutdown issues. Seems like OSX is a bit more solid on the crashing front and your only getting freezes. Give the above suggestions a try and see if it helps you any.
Hope this helps
terramir

FYI I thought the MacPro5,1 system definition caused crashes because of a kext that manages power to the CPU or something. I think if you use MacPro5,1, you need to delete the kext, but I can't recall which kext it was, and I thought the crash was not sporadic so maybe that's not your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back