Contribute
Register

RAID Storage shared between OSX and Windows 7/8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3
CPU
i3-2105
Graphics
NVidia 210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm about to make my next build, a dual-booting OSX and Windows machine. I plan on having a 240gb SSD partitioned, half for Windows, half for OSX, and two 1TB hard drives in RAID 0 as storage between both (Using the NTFS file manager program for OSX). Is there any feasible way to do this? I know that OSX only supports software RAID, so is there any way to get Windows to recognize the OSX software RAID?

Planned parts, if they matter:
Gigabyte Z77 UD5H motherboard
Intel 3570k processor
ASUS 4gb GTX 670 graphics card
240GB Kingston Hyperx3 SSD
Two 1TB WD Green drives

I'm about to make my next build, a dual-booting OSX and Windows machine. I plan on having a 240gb SSD partitioned, half for Windows, half for OSX, and two 1TB hard drives in RAID 0 as storage between both (Using the NTFS file manager program for OSX). Is there any feasible way to do this? I know that OSX only supports software RAID, so is there any way to get Windows to recognize the OSX software RAID?

Planned parts, if they matter:
Gigabyte Z77 UD5H motherboard
Intel 3570k processor
ASUS 4gb GTX 670 graphics card
240GB Kingston Hyperx3 SSD
Two 1TB WD Green drives

There's no way to get Windows to recognize OSX software RAID, but if you add a hardware RAID card (provided it has support under both OS's) you should be able to get it to work.

Thank you both for the help, now I have the tough choice to make between software and hardware RAID. Is there anywhere I can find a benchmark to show how bad a hit I'll take from doing software RAID instead of hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back