Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Just to be sure :
Right now there are no GCN 1.2 based card that do work with El Capitan ?

Thanks in advance ....

The 2 Mini Displays works fine same with the DVI and HDMI. The problem is when using the combination of 2 Mini Display ports and a HDMI i get a black screen on the 3rd monitor but the 2 monitors works not the 3rd one. If i use the DVI and HDMI with a Mini Display get the same problem only 2 monitors works 3rd monitor doesn't.
I have a 6850 and I know that it's limited in the combinations of ports that can be used at any one time. Gigabyte's 68xx series manuals have a port matrix. Here's the matrix from one of the Gigabyte HD 6870 cards on the Gigabyte web site:

6870.png

Silly question time.

If I pick up a R9 280x video card (looking at a Sapphire Vapor-X), will it just work OOB without any extra work just like it does on a Mac Pro?

In my old 12 core Mac Pro I had a Gigabyte R9-280x that worked pretty great. I flashed the board with a modified rom so that I would have the boot screen and that it would be identified in system profiler. However that wasn't even necessary for basic functionality.

Can I expect to just plug in a R9-280x on a Hack and expect it to work? Or will I need to do some frame buffer kung fu?

Looking to put together a new machine and would like to use an AMD card for the OpenCL performance for FCPX.

Sorry I've been gone. I had surgery and have been recovering. So I was able to restore everything to just like it was after first updating (where I get the "** GPU Hardware VM is enabled (multispace: enabled, page table updates with DMA: enabled, non-contiguous VRAM: enabled)" error) I receive this error with every type of boot I try except for safe boot. I have tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes, No, InjectATI=Yes, No and still get the same GPU error. Any ideas where to go from here?

I have the Sapphire R9 280x's. Under Yosemite 10.10.5, works great OOB with no framebuffer needed, turn off the built in CPU graphics (if present), and don't inject any graphics in the boot loader of your choice.

Silly question time.

If I pick up a R9 280x video card (looking at a Sapphire Vapor-X), will it just work OOB without any extra work just like it does on a Mac Pro?

In my old 12 core Mac Pro I had a Gigabyte R9-280x that worked pretty great. I flashed the board with a modified rom so that I would have the boot screen and that it would be identified in system profiler. However that wasn't even necessary for basic functionality.

Can I expect to just plug in a R9-280x on a Hack and expect it to work? Or will I need to do some frame buffer kung fu?

Looking to put together a new machine and would like to use an AMD card for the OpenCL performance for FCPX.

I have the Sapphire R9 280x's. Under Yosemite 10.10.5, works great OOB with no framebuffer needed, turn off the built in CPU graphics (if present), and don't inject any graphics in the boot loader of your choice.

I am happy to report that the R9-280x "just works" OOB with El Capitan. Works brilliantly. Both HDMI and Display Port work fine. Didn't test both at the same time (though I don't see that as an issue) and haven't tested DVI at all.

Also amazed at the difference in performance with the same video card in my 4790K machine compared to my 12 core 3.33Ghz Mac Pro. Literally double framerate in the Cinebench GPU test.

And compared to the 12 core, this machine does the BruceX benchmark in FCPX in under 16 seconds where as the 12 core takes 22 seconds.

Well pleased.

well you 12 core Mac Pro only has PCIe 2.0, so that could be a factor

Cinebench OpenGL benchmark depends heavily on CPU performance, so it's no surprise that a more modern machine performs better (MacPro CPUs are ~5 years old...).
PCIE link speed doesn't matter at all for most applications, especially opengl/gaming stuff.

Back