Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

I haven't tried FixDisplay, I'll do that later. All I've been doing is Inject/ATI. Do I need to populate the number of ports or anything else other than the framebuffer name? I didn't bother trying other framebuffers because they all had more than 3 ports and my RX460 only has 3 (DP, HDMI, and DVI-D DL). I could try the other ones in AMD9500Controller later.
Also, I don't have anything in the "ATI" box in the Clover graphics page. As I understand it, I only would use this if I needed to inject a device ID for an unsupported card. Is this true or do I actually need to populate it with my real card info?

Edit: Even after setting FixDisplay, "ioreg | grep ATY" shows RadeonFramebuffer. "ioreg | grep Acre" also returns nothing (tried that in case for some odd reason it would be under a different category). Clover does not seem to be injecting the settings I have.

Edit2: I tried some more things. I found that if I disable the iGPU in the BIOS, the system won't boot at all, no matter what framebuffer I tell Clover to inject (I tried all of them in AMD9500Controller). It goes to the Apple logo with the loading bar, loads a bit (seems to be an arbitrary amount), then a white bar briefly flashes across the bottom-middle of the screen (entire width) and approximately 10 pink, purple, and blue pixels appear in a spread-out line near the top-middle left of the screen. When this happens, the GPU fans (which have been spinning up to this point) stop spinning and the display hangs. It goes nowhere even after being left for 5+ mins. This also happens (although much, much later in the progress bar (about 7/8 of the way there when with iGPU completely disabled it happened anywhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of the way there). I tried all the frame buffers with just one screen plugged in to the graphics card and none plugged into the iGPU just to make it as simple as possible. I'm going to try updating my Clover and see if that would make it inject the FBName properly.

Edit3: After updating clover from r38xx (I don't remember) to r3961, Acre (with what I guess is my patched version - I don't know how to verify) injects properly and the system boots (only tested so far with iGPU enabled. May test later without iGPU, but if the stability tests go well, I see no reason to). Also, System Information shows "AMD Radeon RX460 4096MB" so that's nice. Here are my final working settings in case anyone wants them:

Gigabyte Radeon RX460 4GB
Inject/Ati = True
FBName = Acre
FixDisplay = True

And then under Kernel and Kext Patches I patch AMD9500Controller with the following:
Find 000400000403000000010101000000001102020100000000000800000402000000010200000000002103050400000000
Replace 000400000403000000010000110201010008000000020000000100002103020404000000120200000001000010000305
Comment RX460 Connectors Acre Patch

iGPU enabled and set as primary in BIOS.

Last edited:
Thank you Fl0r!an!
Could I translate this article to Chinese and post to www.zhihu.com for technical exchange and study?
If you permitted, I will be very happy. lol

Thank you Fl0r!an!
Could I translate this article to Chinese and post to www.zhihu.com for technical exchange and study?
If you permitted, I will be very happy. lol
No, this material was created here for discussion and may not be reproduced.

After I posted yesterday, I ran into some issues. Apparently the clover update broke my audio (ALC892), so without thinking I ran the audio_cloverALC_120 script from toleda's GitHub (after already having audio patches applied by a previous version of this script -- I think the 2 patches conflicted or something). I then proceeded to reboot and found that the computer would not boot under any circumstances (except safe mode). I've been trying to get it to boot, both by manually editing the Clover plist with Vim from the recovery HD and also by changing various settings in the (limited) clover boot gui. After trying several things, I was able to get it to boot with the Audio section of the clover plist setting Inject to "No", removing all the kext patches from the Kernel/Kext patches of the XML (just the ones from the cloverALC tool, not my GPU or the one that was in there for AppleAHCIPort), but most importantly to this thread, I had to set InjectATI=False to get it to boot, thus disabling graphics acceleration. I'm going to try and make sure my clover plist is proper, then I'm going to try temporarily disabling my custom Acre patch, but if neither of those work, does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Update: For some odd reason, the custom Acre patch I had is not working now. It prevents the system from booting when it's enabled. Injecting Acre without any patch, however, does work and I can confirm that Acre is being using instead of RadeonFramebuffer. I'll try again to patch the audio and see if that works.

Update2: Audio now working. Seemed to be a little bit unstable (after the first reboot no audio and my PS2 keyboard wasn't being recognized, after another reboot all was fine). No stability issues observed with American Truck Simulator, Luxmark, Minecraft, or Blender OpenCL render.

Last edited:
Wow! Very interesting, leezee

I am about to upgrade my actual graphic card, a gtx 650 that is quickly running very old. The idea is to jump to an accessible graphics that can support 4k. The purpose is also for editing. Same as you, I would like to remain in Hackintosh, as I find Mac OSX easier that Windows for editing workflows.

Been reading a bit about gtx 1060, 1080, and Radeon RX 480. Unfortunately none of them have mac drivers currently.

I know you did your upgrade a year ago, but what would you recommend me if you were to upgrade today? Would appreciate a lot if you could help!

If you can get your hands on a gtx 980ti it works perfectly in El Cap. Otherwise if you can still find a 7970 it works really well. The last time I used a gtx 980 it never performed anywhere near how well the 980ti does but it could just be El Cap. My previous build was in Yosemite and the HD7970 worked better than the gtx 980. Should be able to find a used 980ti for a good price. I do all my 4k editing with it and it handles like a charm.

I'm struggling to boot my Hackintosh with HD 7850. Tried booting with:

FakeID=0x68181002
InjectATI=True
FixDisplay=True

The machine just reboots when plugging in the GFX card. If I remove it and use the onboard Intel everything is ok. Using Sierra. Here's the full result.

Can you please point me to an "idiot-proof" guide, or give me a hint on what should I do? I'm kinda newb so the initial post is kinda hard for me to understand/apply.

Thank you so much! :)

Last edited:
So after I reported no stability issues in my last post, I am now having crashes again. It's always GPU resets (app crash logs say "Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset"). Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Bad card maybe? I read in the reviews on this card that one person had the card crash at 53C...are there any Mac apps that let me monitor the GPU temp? If not, I can also boot to Ubuntu on this computer, but I'll have to verify that crashes occur there first.

If you can get your hands on a gtx 980ti it works perfectly in El Cap. Otherwise if you can still find a 7970 it works really well. The last time I used a gtx 980 it never performed anywhere near how well the 980ti does but it could just be El Cap. My previous build was in Yosemite and the HD7970 worked better than the gtx 980. Should be able to find a used 980ti for a good price. I do all my 4k editing with it and it handles like a charm.

I'd be very cautious about getting a 980ti. If you are in El Cap, it may be ok. But it is not adequately supported in Sierra. FCPx is not accelerated. I just swapped out a 980ti for 2 Rx480s. In El Cap my speed was 14s for a BruceX render. In Sierra with the same setup it jumped to 50s. That is despite incredible OpenCL, Metal, and Unengine scores.

I said it while back in this thread, but my switch from 980ti to Dual 7970's has made my Hack truly feel like a real Mac.

On that note, boy it was nice to do a quick point release update to Sierra yesterday with zero worries about NVIDIA Web Driver status. :)

I said it while back in this thread, but my switch from 980ti to Dual 7970's has made my Hack truly feel like a real Mac.

On that note, boy it was nice to do a quick point release update to Sierra yesterday with zero worries about NVIDIA Web Driver status. :)
I flashed that BIOS on IM thread to My R9 290X and guess what, sleep works, booting is faster, performance increased.

Back