Contribute
Register

Questions before building a cutomac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard OR system make and model # > See Rules!
CPU
I5-3570
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering building one of the customac's because I love os x and loving gaming, so I want to be able to dual boot windows and os x.
Firstly, Im thinking about going the first option in the custobuild pro builds and adding 2 ssd's. One for windows and the other for os x.

Any recommendations on ssd's for that setup.

Secondly and most important. Will all non hardware specific features be available in os x
When building a customac/hackintosh. Ie face time(built in camera on display), IMessage, iCloud and photostream, AirPlay to ATV2 and potentially ML?

And what's the go with updates as the roll through?

johnny-2007 said:
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering building one of the customac's because I love os x and loving gaming, so I want to be able to dual boot windows and os x.
Firstly, Im thinking about going the first option in the custobuild pro builds and adding 2 ssd's. One for windows and the other for os x.

Secondly and most important. Will all non hardware specific features be available in os x
When building a customac/hackintosh. Ie face time(built in camera on display), IMessage, iCloud and photostream, AirPlay to ATV2 and potentially ML?

For OS X get a Samsung SSD 830, for Windows get the same thing or an OCZ Vertex 4.

Everything you mentioned for the non-hardware specific features will be available to OS X, except that the built-in camera is unlikely to work.

knouroozi said:
johnny-2007 said:

For OS X get a Samsung SSD 830, for Windows get the same thing or an OCZ Vertex 4.

Everything you mentioned for the non-hardware specific features will be available to OS X, except that the built-in camera is unlikely to work.

Sweet so realistically, by going with one of the custom builds I should have no real
Issues whatsoever because these are tried and tested builds.

I still have reservations about updates. I hear they can cause real issues. Is this true? And how about wireless cards?

You just need to read guides about updates and what you need to do before restarting. It's pretty simple! ;)

For a airport card follow this guide. http://www.tonymacx86.com/showthread.php/1056-How-To-Build-your-own-quot-Real-quot-Airport-Card]How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

So I have been in contact with a number or the computer stores here in Australia and they are all telling me that the mobo, video and CPU are all discontinued products. To make it worse newegg and amazon won't ship these parts to Australia.

I'm referring to the first of the customac pro build listing.

Is there other, more recent and less likely to be discontinued hardware I can use that will be less likely to cause dramas for a first time builder?

So I have been in contact with a number or the computer stores here in Australia and they are all telling me that the mobo, video and CPU are all discontinued products. To make it worse newegg and amazon won't ship these parts to Australia.

I'm referring to the first of the customac pro build listing.

Is there other, more recent and less likely to be discontinued hardware I can use that will be less likely to cause dramas for a first time builder?

Do stores have the latest Ivy boards on deck?

The customacs are currently last years models. If the store has ivy bridge it should work if you follow tony's ivy-bridge guide. I'm using an ivy bridge system now. Hopefully tony will release the new customac guide soon, but if i understand correctly they want to wait until at least mountain lion comes out. I suggest you look in the user builds for an ivy bridge build that is similar in power and price to the customac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back