3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've been away from the forum for a while, but trying to play catch-up. I'm building a new CustoMac for some 4K video/360/VR video editing & production. Many of the relatively-new Z170 boards advertise Thunderbolt 3 support, plus include 1 or 2 USB 3.1 Type-C connections (aka "Thunderbolt 3" ports in some circles). In my case, I've got an ASUS Z170-Pro that has a single USB 3.1 Type-C connection...as well as the TB header on the mobo for connecting the ThunderboltEX-II/II-Dual, or ThunderboltEX 3 cards.

Apologies for the stupid question (or if it's been covered already - but I couldn't find it after a few searches): In order to get TB on my board (with on-board USB 3.1 Type-C/Thunderbolt 3 connection), do I still need to buy the add-on card? Or can I somehow activate (under Windoze) the TB features that come with the USB 3.1 port?

TIA for the assist!
--B

Build in process:
ASUS Z170-Pro
Intel i7 6700K
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8) 3600MHz
EVGA GX 740 SC (2GB)

Thanks for sharing that - I'm thinking that the answer to my question is "no" (i.e. without the TB3 card, there is no existing on-board Thunderbolt support for the USB 3.1 Type-C on the mobo). Thanks Stork!

Apologies for the stupid question (or if it's been covered already - but I couldn't find it after a few searches): In order to get TB on my board (with on-board USB 3.1 Type-C/Thunderbolt 3 connection), do I still need to buy the add-on card? Or can I somehow activate (under Windoze) the TB features that come with the USB 3.1 port?...
Duh! I'm sorry for not paying better attention to your question.

You will need the add-on card. beelzebozo used the ASUS ThunderboltEXII 3 card on his motherboard, but, IIRC, he had to install Windoze in order to load the Thunderbolt firmware.

Duh! I'm sorry for not paying better attention to your question.

You will need the add-on card. beelzebozo used the ASUS ThunderboltEXII 3 card on his motherboard, but, IIRC, he had to install Windoze in order to load the Thunderbolt firmware.

No worries, brother. In my old feeble brain, I'm thinking: ASUS Z170-Pro has USB 3.1 Type-C + TB header, and also supports TBEX-3 card. So without the card, I should have 1 on-board TB3 port already (think: GA-Z77X UP5 TB but with 1 TB port). If I want another TB port, I need to buy the add-on card. But I also see the possibility that the on-board USB 3.1 Type-C port is just that (USB 3.1) ...UNTIL you add the ThunderboltEX 3 card. THEN you should have TB - both on the card, and now on the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back