R9-290X
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys!

First off, the specs under my avatar aren't the specs I'm having trouble with. The specs are as follows:

• Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
• Core i7 2700k
• 16GB Vengeance Memory
• Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850
• Corsair 120Gb SSD

The problem I'm having is booting into Windows after it's been installed. What I always do once Windows gets to the desktop is reboot using UniBeast, booting into OS X, and re-installing Chimera. After doing that, I'm greeted with the Chimera boot loader, with the Windows Partition visible. However, the Windows logo isn't blue like it should be. It shows up as the Green FAT32 icon. When trying to boot into it, it says this:

Non-System Disk
System will now reboot

The only way I can mange to boot back into Windows instead of OS X is firing up the repair this computer option from the Windows installation DVD, pulling up a command prompt and typing:

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

This is a legit copy of Windows, and I used the same disc on my main hackintosh, so I know it works. I've also tried using different discs, none of which have worked. What can I be doing wrong?

Thanks, guys!

I'm assuming the installs are on two separate HDDs?

Actually no, I've updated the main post. I'm trying to install both OS's to a 120Gb Corsair SSD.

Gahh, you overwrote the windows bootloader.

This happened to me once, and I was never really able to fix it. What happens when you run fixmbr from the windows repair prompt?

Also, next time, install windows last, then burn yourself a copy of gparted, boot into it and set the OS X as the boot partition. This should keep the windows MBR in tact, while making Chameleon the primary bootloader.

Is it possible that I have a bad board? I've been getting some other very weird things happening, as well. When restarting, the computer will randomly shut off, and turn back on again a few seconds later. The boards voltages and OC settings haven't even been touched, yet it's saying that a boot failure occurred due to over clock voltages.

The USB devices will also randomly stop working, such as the keyboard and mouse. They sometimes don't work at all during start up. For example, when hitting del to get into the BIOS, it simply won't register, leading me to reboot 4 or 5 times before the key press will register. This seems to happen on all USB ports.

I'm really beginning to think that this is a bad board. I've also updated the BIOS to F12, the latest version. These bugs are still persistent.

Sounds more like a bad power connection or the power supply to me.

Double check that the 24 pin and the 4/8 pin board power connectors are firmly seated.

Also double check that the power supply cord is firmly seated in the back of the power supply.

Do you have another PSU you can use to check? or a test meter you can use to check board voltages?

I think Chimera has detect the tiny FAT32 hidden partition Windows 7 installer created under other conditions which shouldn't happen here when creating OSX+Win7 dual boot drive.

OSX should have already created 3 primary partitions (2 hidden) during OSX installations. The Windows installer should not abe to create this tiny hidden partition because it would detect 3 primary partition already exist and force to combine its hidden partition and normal system partition into one NTFS.

I think something went wrong here.

Is your OSX formatted using GUID partition tablet option? or did you use BMR instead?

Also did you delete any of those hidden primary partitions you thought you did't need during Windows installation? If you removed one then Windows will be able to create this tiny hidden partition in FAT32 and so chimera detected this instead of NTFS partition, hence the green icon.

Hope this info helps

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I know that I formatted the SSD as a GUID partition table, not MBR. I don't know how the partition would have gotten hidden, but that sounds like it could be the problem. However, I haven't deleted any partitions. I simply installed Windows after installing OS X.

I really don't want to restore the entire SSD, as it's not my machine, and the machine is being used to edit some videos for a client. Needless to say, a format wouldn't be the best option right now, lol.

I'm pretty sure that all connections from the power supply are nice and tight. I don't have the machine in front of me right now to check, unfortunately.

There have been weird issues aside from Windows, though. Things like graphical glitches within applications, USB drives randomly stop working, things like that. This is leading me to believe that the board is simply defective. Have issues like these happened to anyone else?

Thanks, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back