Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490
CPU
i9-10900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have spend all day around the forum looking for an answer and trying mostly suggestions for this problem.

DVD Player, Ableton Live and Steam Games crashes immediately after launch.

For what I have read that's caused for some reasons:
· VGA connections
· Framebuffer is not loaded.

My monitor had only VGA plug so I bought a new 24" screen with Digital inputs for fix the 1st problem.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to buy a DVI cable, no store around my place sell it. I have HDMI cable and a HDMI > DVI-D cable, actually I am using this one..

NOTE: Both DVI and HDMI ports of my video card works.

Y tried with all ports of my video card but I'm still unable to launch those programs.

For the framebuffer I'm using Duckweed and 4 ports.

This shows when I type bdmesg
Code:
Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.1svn r1996
Build date: 2012-06-11 10:51:26
32732MB memory
VESA v3.0 16MB (AMD ATOMBIOS)
Scanning device 80...Press any key to enter startup options.(3) Use  keys to select the startup volume.    hd(0,2) Macintosh                       
Press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options, or you can:
  Type -v and press Enter to start up with diagnostic messages
  Type ? and press Enter to learn about advanced startup options

boot: Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist] 232 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist] 858 bytes.
Loading Darwin 10.7
Loading kernel /mach_kernel
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/mach_kernel] 4096 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/mach_kernel] 7946744 bytes.
Using PCI-Root-UID value: 1
Framebuffer @0xE0000000  MMIO @0xF7A20000	I/O Port @0x0000A000 ROM Addr @0xF7A00000
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
(AtiConfig) Framebuffer set to: Duckweed
(AtiPorts) Nr of ports set to: 4
ATI Barts Sapphire Radeon HD6870 1024MB (Duckweed) [1002:6738] (subsys [174b:174b]):: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
LAN Controller [8086:1503] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x19,0x0)
Setting up lan keys
LAN Controller [1969:1083] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1c,0x6)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
Setting up lan keys
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/smbios.plist] 701 bytes.
CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, family 0x6, model 0x2a

This shows when I type ioreg | grep ATY
Code:
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000329, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (534 ms), retain 7>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000032a, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (3 ms), retain 7>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@2  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000032b, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (3 ms), retain 7>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@3  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000032c, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (3 ms), retain 7>

This is exactly my video card:
Sapphire_6870_pic2.jpg

My Extra plist:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Duckweed</string>
	<key>AtiPorts</key>
	<string>4</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1920x1080x32</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>PCIRootUID</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>PciRoot</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>Theme</key>
	<string>Choose_Your_OS</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Any ideas for make my video card loads correctly the frambuffer?

Ok, I have good new and bad news:

Good news:
I managed to make the system to detect the framebuffer and video card model using the native .kexts.

Screen-Shot-2012-07-09-at-23.12.01.jpg

I just removed the PCIRoot=1

Bad news

Now only my DVI-I port works.
HDMI: Blackscreen
DVI-D: Blackscreen

DVI-I: Works
DisplayPort: Not tested

Any ideas to make those ports work? I bought 3 screens and I would love to use them with my computer.

That's really odd, I have a similar Sapphire card, but with two mini-DP ports instead of the full-size one and I have no problems at all. Admittedly I only have two screens, but I had one over HDMI to DVI, but I've now changed to mini-DP to DVI and the other on DVI and both screens are working just fine. I didn't have to do anything to get the card working, it's all OOB and I've been using it through multiple versions of OS X from 10.6.something on to 10.7.4.

thelostswede said:
That's really odd, I have a similar Sapphire card, but with two mini-DP ports instead of the full-size one and I have no problems at all. Admittedly I only have two screens, but I had one over HDMI to DVI, but I've now changed to mini-DP to DVI and the other on DVI and both screens are working just fine. I didn't have to do anything to get the card working, it's all OOB and I've been using it through multiple versions of OS X from 10.6.something on to 10.7.4.

Ok, there should be something I'm doing wrong then. I will be doing some testing to see if I could fix it.

Do you have direct connection (DVI > DVI) or do have mixed ports (DVI > HDMI) ?

I also have almost exactly the same card.

I've had 3 screens running at once using

1) HDMI to a flat screen TV

2) DVI to 1 monitor

3) Active MiniDisplayPort to DVI

I just use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, haven't touched the graphics at all!

No custom FrameBuffer loading or anything like that

That 6870 is a non-reference designed card, hence the different port layout.
The device ID might not be in the Chimera list of GE=Y card set up.

There are two things you can do, check device ID to those in Chimera and/or add your own device ID into your set up and finding the correct framebuffer. As Duckweed isnt working right for you it might be one of the others.

eelhead said:
That 6870 is a non-reference designed card, hence the different port layout.
The device ID might not be in the Chimera list of GE=Y card set up.

There are two things you can do, check device ID to those in Chimera and/or add your own device ID into your set up and finding the correct framebuffer. As Duckweed isnt working right for you it might be one of the others.

Well, In my second reply I shows Duckweed actually worked nicely, the problem is that now my other ports don't work, only DVI-D does.

::EDIT::
But indeed, my video card is an odd one compared to others Sapphire 6870, mostly people have around here have 5 ports, mine have 4 and only 1 display port.

I'm not using chimera since chimera broke my sound drive (I'm not sure why), I'm using "Chameleon-2.1svn-r1996", but Duckweed seems to do the trick in detecting my video card and let me use all the software I couldn't before, but puling in the other ports I only get a blackscreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back