GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello guys,

Can please anyone tell me how I can prevent 10.7.2 Lion from mounting my win 7, system reserved and Installer (HFS) partition?

Why? I have Win on SSD and I don't want OSX to touch it from safety reasons because it for some strange reasons reports no TRIM support under OSX.
And I just want to hide Installer partition.

For now I just disabled NTFS write support but I have other NTFS discs that I want to be able to write on.

I found numerous articles that are using /etc/fstab but it no longer works on Lion.
I also tried Disk Arbitrator ... also No Luck

Any suggestions?
THX

P.S.: Just crossed my mind. Any idea how to completly disable using that SSD via Chimera?

In case you haven't found a solution to this issue AND for anyone who may be looking to resolve this annoyance in the future...

Editing /etc/fstab definitely still works through Mountain Lion for this purpose, but only if you designate the volume using its UUID. However, finding that information turned out to be a bit more tricky than one might think. The Disk Utility app does not display the UUID for NTFS formatted volumes...
However is you use the following command in the terminal the volume's UUID will be displayed (the partition may either have to be mounted OR not mounted for this to work- can't recall, and if Tuxera NTFS is enabled for the volume/partition in question that will also break this solution- just disable it for the volumes you want LOCKED and ideally not mounted- this is of course for those on previous versions that do not support writing to NTFS natively).

diskutil info /dev/diskXsY ##substitute X & Y for the disk & partition numbers which you can learn with the command: diskutil list

then add the following line to the fstab file (for each partition you don't want to mount):

UUID=(the long hexidecimal number obtained from the command above) none ro,noauto,nouser 0 0

To edit the fstab file use the command:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

once you've added those lines (to the end of the file) press:
[ctrl]-X (to exit) you will be prompted to save your changes, type:
Y then enter, then enter again to confirm the file name.

Reboot and you're done... This is a system wide setting which applies to all users, current and future. But you may still mount the partition using the Disk Utility app.

Another command that you might find useful is:

sudo touch /Volumes/SSD_Volume_name/.fseventsd/no_log

this prevents Spotlight from writing any indexes/logs to your partition/disk (and you must have the partition mounted with read & write enabled for this to succeed)... but the "ro" flag in the above command- when used with the volume UUID- should do the trick. I know it works through Mountain Lion, I just used it recently.

Also, have you tried the little app that enables trim on any disk (I believe it's originally & specifically for Snow Leopard- but I've read about other folks using successfully it in Lion when TRIM is not activated for some reason)?

Hope this helps someone...

In case you haven't found a solution to this issue AND for anyone who may be looking to resolve this annoyance in the future...

Editing /etc/fstab definitely still works through Mountain Lion for this purpose, but only if you designate the volume using its UUID. However, finding that information turned out to be a bit more tricky than one might think. The Disk Utility app does not display the UUID for NTFS formatted volumes...
However is you use the following command in the terminal the volume's UUID will be displayed (the partition may either have to be mounted OR not mounted for this to work- can't recall, and if Tuxera NTFS is enabled for the volume/partition in question that will also break this solution- just disable it for the volumes you want LOCKED and ideally not mounted- this is of course for those on previous versions that do not support writing to NTFS natively).

diskutil info /dev/diskXsY ##substitute X & Y for the disk & partition numbers which you can learn with the command: diskutil list

then add the following line to the fstab file (for each partition you don't want to mount):

UUID=(the long hexidecimal number obtained from the command above) none ro,noauto,nouser 0 0

To edit the fstab file use the command:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

once you've added those lines (to the end of the file) press:
[ctrl]-X (to exit) you will be prompted to save your changes, type:
Y then enter, then enter again to confirm the file name.

Reboot and you're done... This is a system wide setting which applies to all users, current and future. But you may still mount the partition using the Disk Utility app.

Another command that you might find useful is:

sudo touch /Volumes/SSD_Volume_name/.fseventsd/no_log

this prevents Spotlight from writing any indexes/logs to your partition/disk (and you must have the partition mounted with read & write enabled for this to succeed)... but the "ro" flag in the above command- when used with the volume UUID- should do the trick. I know it works through Mountain Lion, I just used it recently.

Also, have you tried the little app that enables trim on any disk (I believe it's originally & specifically for Snow Leopard- but I've read about other folks using successfully it in Lion when TRIM is not activated for some reason)?

Hope this helps someone...

hey man, this did not work, I did it exactly as above...

What happened/?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back