Contribute
Register

PowerMac G5 Hackintosh mod (long term project)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5 2400
Graphics
980 Ti
As the title says, this is a long term project, as money/time allows. But I have a near perfect condition (just some surface scratches) PowerMac G5, that I'd like to build a mackintosh in. I already can run macOS on my current rig, which I'm replacing with a Xeon build. So I'll have the mobo, CPU, maybe some RAM, the PSU, and a 1TB drive for my mackintosh build. I'll pick up an i7 if I can find a good deal, and use this as my editing rig for whenever I have to to any video editing (besides, the correct number of computers is N+1, whereas N is the amount of computers you have, only limited by the space you have to put them).

So what I'll need:

WiFi card that supports airdrop, handoff, etc. (hopefully, since that'd be dope)
Some way to mount the mobo into the PowerMac case with minimum modding (I don't want to change anything I don't have to)
Isn't there an adapter for the front I/O?
And anything else I overlooked

I'll be using the original HDD cage, and I'll do my best to fit a PSU where the stock one is, with one of the port extenders like on some mITX cases. Speaking of which, Imma have the like new (seriously, the fans are the only things with dust on them) guts of a PowerMac G5, anyone want them? I'm in the Nashville area, if I could find a box I could maybe ship them. But it'd be expensive because the CPU is massive.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to run High Sierra once it comes out, so will I need anything special to support the full functionality of macOS?

Last edited:
There are lots of similar builds described in the Case Mods forum, I suggest you have a look around in there for some ideas.

I have, and they look pretty awesome. I think the parts I need the most help with are supported hardware so I can use airdrop and handoff and iMessage and all that, and then wiring stuff like the front I/O.

I also need somewhere to dispose of the G5 parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back