1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. LC
  3. PowerBook
  4. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I had a Cube lying around that would lock up after running for a few minutes. Rather than figuring out the problem, (naturally) I decided to put it to better use.

I started by cutting off part of a larger sheet of galvanised steel I had lying around. I had originally purchased it for a PowerMac G5 project but due to the lack of tools back then, I decided it was easier to buy a second case and scrap it for parts instead (See here).

I cut out a rough region with tinsnips and milled it down to a more precise size.

qeDoIzg.jpg

5q37WfR.jpg

Placing the plate over the approximate I/O region, I picked a side and started ball parking some dimensions. After drawing the prototype outline on SketchUp, I iteratively printed the pattern onto an OHT sheet and checked the fit on the Cube's bottom plate. It was easy to tweak sizes as the toner rubbed off with a bit of metho. The final outline is posted at the end.

Fbul9R3.jpg

After I was satisfied with the fit, I transferred the outline onto the galvanised steel plate, making sure to mark the waste side of the lines.

e8WvJNb.jpg

I made sure to cut outside the markings so I could manually file back to the actual outline by hand as required.

p6iH0UM.jpg

Once I was satisfied, I made the negative cut into the Cube's plate and checked the fit.

YZ71usR.jpg

Butt joint cuts were made into the galv. plate to ensure a rigid joint.

TfQ2BCn.jpg

The interfaces were coated in flux; you can never have too much flux.

932c73V.jpg

At this point, I realised I had forgotten to check I actually had propane left in my torch. As Murphy would have it, I didn't. So I had to make do with my butane micro. The result was ugly, but It held solid.

oKAx7ZW.jpg

After a quick grind down, I was satisfied.

gzJp4Hl.jpg

Moving onto the I/O, I scanned the port side of the DQ77KB and printed it 1:1.

IxNj9WL.jpg

After much drilling and painstaking manual filing (close to 7 hours to complete all the openings), the ports were done...

UinB1Bk.jpg

…and it fit like a glove.

TGSug8P.jpg

Next up was the cheese grater finish. I drew a bunch of lines projected from the holes on the north end of the plate and did the same laterally from the few holes I had on the left and right.

YUJ6AFp.jpg

I predrilled each hole first, and followed through with the 3mm bit.

S4CY1nA.jpg

Not bad…

rnWYzM5.jpg

Cut out another sheet of galv...

fjk72qm.jpg

Milled out the pattern…

boFndis.jpg

Result.

0D65DSa.jpg

I cut out the heatsink from the mid frame and predrilled some holes matching the LGA1155 socket.

VsxCXo8.jpg

To size.

b8lIfAs.jpg

Tapping…

U3D0Ftf.jpg

Next I cut back a few fins so it would all fit nice and snug.

4YmFraa.jpg

Now let's turn up the heat!

gRv8f1q.jpg

Poured die.

cjoh5mQ.jpg
Machining…

wJDKw7u.jpg

Et voila.

1d5teHk.jpg

Dat heat retention… 4 hours later.

yEdtJ6E.jpg

Brazed some nuts to the corner pillars.

zJcaJ8U.jpg

Brazed in standoffs for a central fan. Behold, the ugly Noctua beige.

bzIhkC0.jpg

Filled in the air gaps with Selleys® KNEAD IT™.

x5zCFua.jpg

After sanding the back plate with 60 grit and bathing it in vinegar to remove the oily galv. coating, on to painting!

SwBqgfY.jpg

Primer:

7RnX4RE.jpg

Finish:

cQ68K1w.jpg

I printed off the IO decals mirrored. Available below.

iJHV7YD.jpg

Taped it over the bottom plate…

byfsuJB.jpg

… and ironed on.

U80dkMH.jpg

Printed the specs decal on photo paper as the crevasse was too tight to spread heat evenly.

6lfHa9u.jpg

Satin enamel and finished back.

lPtBUom.jpg

Parts installed. DVD drive, 2x 2.5" HDD, Sapphire HD7750

ajQbXKv.jpg

Heatsink + Aluminium shim.

7NrV96i.jpg

The guts.

Yc6bx72.jpg

FOQHzFL.jpg

aShh6RS.jpg

Still waiting on

• [*=left]PCI-E Riser
    [*=left]Power supply
    [*=left]Power button

Attachments

• Decal2.png
    Decal2.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 474
  • Plate.zip
    17.1 KB · Views: 190
This is definitely the most impressive work I've seen done on a Cube to date.

Excellent! I can hardly wait to see it completed.

Ersterhernd

wow! Truly amazing.When do you begin mass-producing the bottom IO plate?:p
How are you going to power the Graphics Card?
Cheers
F

Wow now thats clean!!

amazing work!

Wish I had such great tools.

Rick,

Yeah me too... A mill that's accurate to 5% and a propane torch that guzzles fuel. Hahaha

How are you going to power the Graphics Card?

Doesn't require externel power so I'll just run it at lower bandwidth through the PCIE x4 and probably recycle an m15x power supply.

I powered up the machine today with the modified cube heat sink and checked the idle temperatures in BIOS. Given a few minutes to settle, it averaged to 39-42°C. Next I tried the stock Intel cooler with the fan removed and I was surprised to see it actually faired worse at 46-48°C. At these sorts of idle temperatures it would probably be best to switch back over to active cooling. It's not that the aluminium shim was machined poorly; hell I was really pleased that it did better than a purpose built one; but I think the 3245 operates a little too far on the warm side for passive cooling to be viable in the long term. Oh well, a great little experiment none the less.

Amazing metalwork! When I first came across a photo (without looking at the internals) I thought for a second "When did apple have a cube with dual ethernet and HDMI?".

Would you ever consider selling a case like that? That thing is insane.

Never :D: In fact, a friend asked if I would consider making another one if anyone ever asked. They would have to pay handsomely... very very handsomely, because the stress of making a mistake and having to start from scratch is a pain in the arse.

Amazing metalwork! When I first came across a photo (without looking at the internals) I thought for a second "When did apple have a cube with dual ethernet and HDMI?".

They do now ;)

You Sir, are truly amazing. This has got to be some of the finest work I've seen, the templates and stenciling, the welding, machining, painting. The attention to detail, that's truly amazing work. I am most certainly truly impressed. My hat's off to you...congratulations! I can't wait to see it light up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back