Contribute
Register

Please Help no sound on new build gigabyte GA-X79-UD5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, however Multibeast 6.1 will not install your audio driver - keeps failing. Quite a few of the .pkgs with Multibeast 6.1 fail to install - haven't found a solution to it yet, despite depending on research instead of luck. Any ideas ?

Thanks, however Multibeast 6.1 will not install your audio driver - keeps failing.
Not an audio problem. Exactly one choice:
MultiBeast 6.0 or newer - Select: Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT √ ALC898

I will try that - however as I said - when I did an upgrade from Mountain Lion - I wasn't able to install any .pkgs using Multibeast - it keeps failing. I looked at the logs - there was nothing obvious in there. I tried repairing permissions and didn't help.

I think I managed to install themes, that's about it. Every other one threw and error. I can do a step by step procedure test and see what happens if that helps ?
I extracted your .pkg from Multibeast - extracted the .kext from installer package and used kext beast to install the kext - which resulted in no sound. That may very well have been due to AppleHDA.kext being already patched previously ? Not sure.

In desperation - I did a clean install of Mavericks on a spare drive but I am stuck on reboot on Country selection - most likely due to bluetooth. I will pick up a USB mouse and try again tonight.

I have CCC'ed my functional Mountain Lion install so I can test multiple scenarios. My Mountain Lion works with sound through Optical Digital Out on the ALC898 which I did a few months ago following your original instructions.

I would like to contribute a bit more - so I can test your suggestion later. I will CCC my ML install to another SSD and try installing just that one option again and tell you exactly what happens.
I will also continue trying a fresh clean install and see what I can accomplish.

Finished clean install of Mavericks. Managed to install just the sound driver as per suggestion:

"MultiBeast 6.0 or newer - Select: Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT √ ALC898"

Had no sound after reboot. ALC898 was in AppleHDA but the codec wasn't showing up.

Followed instructions to the letter in the diagnosing section of "NO SOUND" post to find out I had npci=0x3000 flag saved. Removed and system wouldn't boot. Replaced with npci=0x2000 and sound works and system boots properly. Found out my ML install also had the flag - after patching to 8.5 the sound disappeared. When I have time - I will take a look and see if it's easy to patch the sound again to make it work - just for the sake of testing.

Have a hard time installing other components (kexts) from Multibeast 6.1 - a lot of them fail. I was lucky to install trim enabler, sound and some other ones.

Thanks,

Just noticed (duh !) that I don't have 5.1 AC3 sound from the receiver.... everything plays as 2 channel stereo sound no matter what. Any ideas ? The content is 5.1 AC3 sound... it is sent to my receiver through optical cable - but only appears to the receiver as 2 channel sound...

It worked with that motherboard in Mountain Lion - but doesn't work properly in Mavericks.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

It worked with that motherboard in Mountain Lion - but doesn't work properly in Mavericks.
Mavericks works properly
1. Source (name, format)?
2. Player (app)?
3. Receiver (name, model)?

Thanks for replying Toleda

1. Source (name, format)? Multiple sources encoded with Dolby AC3 5.1 sound
MKV, MP4 etc. I have looked at the audio stream to verify. I can put those same files on a removable hard-drive - use my Bluray Phillips player to play them and the same receiver to perceive and decode the AC3 sound - just not on my Hackintosh.

2. Player (app)?
VLC 2.1.2, VLC 2.1.3, VLC 2.1.4, DivX 10, XBMC 12 (Frodo), XBMC 13 (20140223 nightly build), Quicktime, Mac Bluray Player - take your pick.

3. Receiver (name, model)?
Panasonic SA-HT05

I appreciate your due diligence and I am dependent on your help. Otherwise, I would have to scour the forums and try to find an answer on my own.
Obviously the system is sending the sound stream to the receiver via the Digital Optical out from the motherboard. It did it before, just the same. The motherboard and the receiver have not changed. What changed is I upgraded / reinstalled the OS then followed your excellent procedure to patch the AppleHDA kext directly from Multibeast.

I can see - for example in Quicktime - that the stream has discreet channels - yet the receiver "believes" that it is getting only stereo sound from the "optical cable."

Perhaps you can make a suggestion as to what tools and procedures to use in the OS to see why only two channels are "sent" to the receiver other than all 5+1
I don't know how to explain it any better than that.

1. The sound works
2. The receiver works
3. The cable works
4. The software works....

Why is the OS sending 2 channels instead of all of them ? What tools can I use to make that determination. If you have a post somewhere that shows a step by step procedure - I am happy to follow it...

I have used your patched kexts and procedures for quite a while now - since Leopard or Snow Leopard days. I followed your procedure this time as well and it gave me sound - just not 5.1

Thanks.

VLC 2.1.2, VLC 2.1.3, VLC 2.1.4, DivX 10, XBMC 12 (Frodo), XBMC 13 (20140223 nightly build), Quicktime, Mac Bluray Player
XBMC is the only app listed that supports encoded digital audio in OS X on optical. Plex is another choice but it is not on your list. Even when it is working, Audio MIDI Setup will alway show 2 channels.

"XBMC is the only app listed that supports encoded digital audio in OS X on optical. Plex is another choice but it is not on your list. Even when it is working, Audio MIDI Setup will alway show 2 channels."

So what you are saying is the other apps cannot pass encoded digital audio in OSX ?

I will test Plex next and report the outcome. Is there some other way to test and make sure that my layout is correct and such ? Any other tools I can use to look up and diagnose my settings ? Is that the exact job of the "digital out" in system preferences > sound ? It will always without fail pass through the exact audio stream as is to the digital output ?

So VLC and Mac Bluray Player cannot pass through SPDIF ? Really ? They both have the setting...

Thanks

Plex Theater - latest version properly passes AC3 encoded sound to the receiver on optical out. That sucks because nothing else seems to work properly.

I can't seem to configure XBMC to pass through AC3 on optical without down-mixing to 2 channels.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back