Contribute
Register

Parallells 7 causes freeze at boot + slow + no wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtr

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68AP
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I installed parallells 7 yesterday with Win 7 and everything was fine...until I turned my machine off overnight.
This morning on boot it seemed to take a long time and then when it reached the desktop everything was frozen apart from the mouse cursor. It said no wifi card was installed swell and i'm using a proper Apple card (see sig).
I pressed the power button which put it to sleep, and upon wake I could just about do things but then straight away I had a panic (hold in power button to turn this machine off etc).

Tried again, same thing. So I booted in safe mode and uninstalled parallels and everything was back to normal, wifi etc and booted up fast.

Anyone else experienced this?
I really want to use parallels.

I'm using Parallels 7 running Win 7 on my machine, upgraded from v6 a few weeks ago. The virtual manager process every once in a while will take a core to 100%, and the process is slow to start at boot and slow to shut down as well. All of these problems seem to be pretty common complaints on the Parallels forum, so with any luck we'll see an update fixing one or more of the issues soon.

Does your BIOS have a setting for virtualization, and if so is it turned on?

Perry

That could explain the slowness in booting, but not sure it explains the wireless card showing as not installed and the other panic.
I think something must be conflicting with kexts being used.

I checked my bios and under misc cpu settings there was virtualisation and it was set to enabled.

Apparently, Parallells forces the system to load kext by kext, as in safe mode. Verbose mode showed this. Uninstalling Parallells makes the system to boot quickly again.

I'm using Parallels 7 and Windows 7 in a virtual machine. I did notice the slower boot also. I'm using an OCZ SSD. It booted in about 30 seconds total before Parallels 7 was installed. Now it's between 45 sec. and a minute.

What ever you do activate Parallels before it expires. I had to do a lot of playing around not to have to re-install Win 7 and all it's programs.

I tried every virtualization software I could find and still like Parallels the best. The coherence mode is the best. I get to run all my Windows software in a Mac window using all the familiar Mac operations. Parallels is the fastest as well.

I only had issues with the built-in network on my MB. Realtek RLT8111E. I loaded the latest driver and don't get crashes anymore. It's been 4 or 5 weeks now.

:D

Hope that helps

Glad to hear it works. I'm on the cusp of moving to a Hackintosh (waiting for some thoughts in another post here) and I'm also on the cusp of buying Parallels 7..but was somewhat reluctant to spend the $80 only to find out that it wouldn't play nice with my new (speedy) Hackintosh, leaving me forced to run it on my old (slow) iMac.

I've reverted back to Parallels v6 until they figure out what the problem is with runaway vm processes. There's only one program I need Windows for (a custom royalty tracking system), so I don't mind using the old version.

Perry

I'm using Parallells 7 and it's booting rather quick on my i7 hackintosh.. actually I had 3 VM's running last night at the same time and they all were running nicely. I need to do more work with it tonight, I'll post back if I have a problem

I have to say mine is OK now. I updated to the newest version which cured the slow boot times.
What I found was after the first reboot it would all freeze and mess up, but after rebooting in safe mode and repairing permissions everything is fine :)

Good to hear that this was fixed. I am trying to get Parallels 7 to boot my Windows 7 hard drive (separate physical disk) but I am having problems. Does anyone in here have that setup working, or have any advice? When it boots it says no boot device available or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back