Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All,

I'm new to installing OS X on generic hardware, so I apologize if this is a stupid problem.

I built a machine based on the CustomMac Pro build and I'm trying to follow the guide here.

I've installed and run Win 7 on the machine so I'm relatively certain it is solid and stable.

I boot fine with iBoot and then put my retail 10.6.3 DVD in. The issue that I'm hitting is that I get a kernel panic before I see any real install UI.

The panic is at "pmap_steal_memory"@[...]/osfmk/vm/vm_resident.c:744. I can copy more of the stack if it is relevant, but it looks like it is part of the kernel bootstrap.

I've changed the SATA mode to ACHI and disabled/unplugged everything I could think of. The on thing I haven't been able to do is remove most of the RAM as I couldn't get the machine to boot with just one stick in.

Details of my machine:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2 BIOS ver FB
Intel Core i7-950
MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon
6x4GB Mushkin Silverline RAM
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Any advice is greatly appreciated. If I can get this working I certainly intend to contribute.

Bump!

Does anyone have a clue here?

Is the > 4GB likely the problem or has someone installed with lots of ram on this motherboard?

Bring it down to less than 4gb of ram. I had to do that on mine in order to install.

jbeda said:
Bump!

Does anyone have a clue here?

Is the > 4GB likely the problem or has someone installed with lots of ram on this motherboard?
Since iBoot limits you to 4Gb of ram it shouldn't make a difference. I installed with iBoot+MultiBeast with 12Gb ram installed.

Make sure you have downloaded the latest iBoot and MB to get support for your 5770.
You might have to use -x to install until you can get updated to 10.6.5 and get the chameleon with ATI support installed.

I have a similar build as you and have installed OSX at least 3 times successfully just to make sure I truly understand how to install everything in case issues come about.

A few things to consider...

- Are you using a USB keyboard and mouse?
- Follow Lnx2Macs Bios settings from his blog site

I used the same guide as you but used the latest DSDT FD and 10.6.5 Update. Sorry for not having any links...I'm typing from my iPad.

I'm having the same issue to where it panics on start up. Moreover, I've installed it 3 times so far but the ethernet and sound doesn't work, or it won't boot without going into safe mode. Anyways I've been messing with this for the past 8 hours and its 4 am I'll get some more info when I get some sleep.

Update your bios, mine became solid with version FC. Moreover, I had to use the iBootGE disk instead of the normal iBoot. I hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Notes:
  • I have tried -x with the same results[/*:m:6udg2yyx]
  • I didn't use Lnx2Mac's settings (I assume you mean this page.) but now that I look at it I think I was essentially in the same state.[/*:m:6udg2yyx]
  • iBoot appears to recognize all 24G of ram -- at least it says so on the screen. Perhaps this is the problem.[/*:m:6udg2yyx]
  • I never got far enough to need MultiBeast![/*:m:6udg2yyx]
  • I am using a USB keyboard and mouse. All other USB devices unplugged.[/*:m:6udg2yyx]

I plan to try updating the BIOS. I'll also look at using other boot enablers beyond iBoot. I'll start with iBootGE.

Now I just need to find a good stretch of time to hack at this. Perhaps tonight after the kids are in bed.

i did what the guide said and pulled out all but 4gb of ram and 1 video card but left all 7 drives in my system and I was able to boot with out going into safe mode after I updated the bios and used iboot GE.

Indeed my system was running great and I had no issues and I was able to see all of my windows drives. However, as I reinstalled my ram and my other 2 video cards (w/o the sli bridge) I began having issues again. But as I said earlier updating the bios and GE worked for me. I have the same board and the same issue as you so .....

Ok so I have everything up and running great, as I told you what I did earlier. However, I'm having issues with the ethernet jack turning off while booting up. It even affected my windows install. I don't know the reason why but here's my fix. Unplug the cord to your power supply, and let the system sit for a minute until your cmos reset light turns off. The plug the cord back in and the ethernet jack should light up green and showing that its working. I'm just posting this since I imagine you'll have the same issue that I'm having soon or later.

~Cheers

alphasig298

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back