Things I've tried:

Changing the number of ram slots used
Installing OS X on an SSD
OS X on an HDD
BIOS update
SSD firmware update
HWMonitor uninstalled
Integrated/discrete graphics
Changed BIOS settings that reduce cpu power.

I wasn't able to get it to work. I'm going to have a friend test my CPU in his machine to see if that is the problem, but I am about 95% sure it's the motherboard.

Oh God, that motherboard is a huge bummer. Fortunately, I was able to get a return from Amazon. Those guys are amazing. I'll receive tomorrow, and I'll try to figure if this new motherboard is better, but I'm not sure it'll change something. If then, I'll ask for a new CPU and another motherboard.

So I was hoping that the FAKESMC will be the problem, but it seems that you guys already tried that without success… Yesterday I tried to stress it, and the CPU was up to 100°C, do you think it can be related ? Do you think the CPU might be damaged ? I was able to boot and everything, but it was unstable. I don't know what caused that heat. So maybe the CPU is damaged.

A little update from my side:
Today I have tested all my RAM modules individually using MemTest86+. There were no errors.
I put all RAM sticks back in and made some stress tests on Windows 8.1 and OS X.
After a few hours I was surprised that there were no freezes. OS X has been running for 3 hours now and didn't freeze. Hopefully that doesn't change.
If the freezes come back, I'll wait a few more days to hear updates from you people with the same problem and then probably return the UD3H in order to get a new one.

Yeah I've read on some boards that the RAM management on that mobo is mind****ed when you've got the 4 DIMM slots plugged…*And by the way, I know that you're not french, but when I tried to contact them on their french forum, they're using a stupid translating tool to read and answer their customers… So the guy doesn't understand a thing of what I'm saying (He's asking to look in the BIOS when I can't even boot, stuck at error code 15, TWICE). He then asked me to send the mobo the Netherlands, at my own expenses. That's was my cue to just go to amazon.com and check their return policy. Which is amazing. Free and I've got the new one the next day's morning…

So yeah, basically, this mobo sucks so much… I don't know why it's in the buying advice. UEFI is one big stupid thing. Why the hell did they put a mouse in the BIOS ? Is that the only good thing with that **** ? I only need my BIOS to be stable, not ugly-looking (my god, a wallpaper with stars) and freaking freezy when you're not on the IGP…*

Yeah I've read on some boards that the RAM management on that mobo is mind****ed when you've got the 4 DIMM slots plugged…*And by the way, I know that you're not french, but when I tried to contact them on their french forum, they're using a stupid translating tool to read and answer their customers… So the guy doesn't understand a thing of what I'm saying (He's asking to look in the BIOS when I can't even boot, stuck at error code 15, TWICE). He then asked me to send the mobo the Netherlands, at my own expenses. That's was my cue to just go to amazon.com and check their return policy. Which is amazing. Free and I've got the new one the next day's morning…

So yeah, basically, this mobo sucks so much… I don't know why it's in the buying advice. UEFI is one big stupid thing. Why the hell did they put a mouse in the BIOS ? Is that the only good thing with that **** ? I only need my BIOS to be stable, not ugly-looking (my god, a wallpaper with stars) and freaking freezy when you're not on the IGP…*
Well you can always switch to Classic Mode with F2. But yeah, if you are messing around in the BIOS a simpler, keyboard only option still seems to work the best.

I might have found a solution for our problem, didn't have freezes since (over 6 hours of uptime).
Try increasing DRAM voltage to 1.65V in the BIOS (1.5V is default) and reduce the RAM frequency by disabling XMP (my RAM runs on 1333MHz instead of 1600MHz now).

Edit: Yesterday I let my PC run for 6h, today for 8h. I really hope the freezes don't come back.

edit : and Short, I'm curious, which definition did you use ?
MacPro 3,1
Haven't changed it since the first installation, from my experience it seems to be the most stable one.

I might have found a solution for our problem, didn't have freezes since (over 6 hours of uptime).
Try increasing DRAM voltage to 1.65V in the BIOS (1.5V is default) and reduce the RAM frequency by disabling XMP (my RAM runs on 1333MHz instead of 1600MHz now).

Edit: Yesterday I let my PC run for 6h, today for 8h. I really hope the freezes don't come back.
Cool, maybe I'll give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back