Intel 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I am trying to dual boot my Samsung Series 9 NP900X3C-A01US. So I am currently running Windows 7 on my series 9 and I want to be able to boot from my external hard drive since I dont have a optical drive. So basically, I want to be able to run windows 7, and when I have my external hard drive plugged in, run os X. The mac osx files would stay on the hard drive and my windows files would be on my internal solid state drive. I think my main problem is making the bootable usb drive so that i can boot and install mac onto the external hard drive. I already have the .dmg and the .iso files of osx lion and the external hard drive i am using is the Seagate(R) Expansion(TM) 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (STAX500102). What I have already done is mount the iso file onto the hard drive and changed the bios settings to usb. I'm not positive if I mounted it correctly or not because after I mount it and try to open the hard drive's file, it tells me that i need to format the drive. is it even possible for me to do this? much help is appreciated. thank you so much.

Were you able to install MAC OS X?

I would recommend this
1) create a partition for Mac OS X
2) install Mountain Lion
3) If it works, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy your partition to the external hard drive

Then, you can delete the Mac OS X partition, so you can use your space for Windows

and then give it a try, it should automatically recognize the external Mac OS X partition

I want to buy that laptop, but first I want to make sure it works with Mountain Lion

I like apple, but the notebooks are twice as expensive

Another suggestion, but a good 256SD SSD, it's less than a dollar now a days
and just install Mac OS X on a partition of that hard drive

Were you able to install MAC OS X?

I would recommend this
1) create a partition for Mac OS X
2) install Mountain Lion
3) If it works, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy your partition to the external hard drive

Then, you can delete the Mac OS X partition, so you can use your space for Windows

and then give it a try, it should automatically recognize the external Mac OS X partition

I want to buy that laptop, but first I want to make sure it works with Mountain Lion

I like apple, but the notebooks are twice as expensive

Another suggestion, but a good 256SD SSD, it's less than a dollar now a days
and just install Mac OS X on a partition of that hard drive

Thanks for your reply. I am gonna try to do it your way. If I have both the dmg and iso file, which is the type that Iwould use to burn the the DVD disk? And also, the series 9 costs the same as the air but it has better hardware which is why I chose it. Honestly, I dislike mac os. I just want to have something that no one else has cuz this is a pretty hard thing to do. Just my opinion.

Do you know if there are any Samsung ultrabook with touch screen?
that would be the best laptop ever ultrabook Samsung hardware touch screen Windows 8 and Mac OS X (my guess is you'll end up using Mac OS X more often than Windows)

Anyway, I installed Mountain Lion with a USB stick

Didn't used the DVD solution at all

You want to install Mountain Lion correct?

If so,
1) you need to backup your Windows partition
2) Enable AHCI on Boot
3) Insert Mountain Lion USB stick (UniBeast)
4) Format entire hard drive as GUID Partition Table
5) Create a partition for Mac OS X

Tell me how it goes

Ma

Do you know if there are any Samsung ultrabook with touch screen?
that would be the best laptop ever ultrabook Samsung hardware touch screen Windows 8 and Mac OS X (my guess is you'll end up using Mac OS X more often than Windows)

Anyway, I installed Mountain Lion with a USB stick

Didn't used the DVD solution at all

You want to install Mountain Lion correct?

If so,
1) you need to backup your Windows partition
2) Enable AHCI on Boot
3) Insert Mountain Lion USB stick (UniBeast)
4) Format entire hard drive as GUID Partition Table
5) Create a partition for Mac OS X

Tell me how it goes

Ma

i was thinking of doing it by either partitioning my ssd atm and then transfer the whole file onto my external hdd or just boot from external hdd and save it there also. and no im pretty sure there isnt a touch screen for the samsung ultrabook.
do u know of a way to boot by usb and not have to format my whole hard drive?

Yeah

Boot with Multibeast USB

If it boots, and you get to the installer screen, there is a BIG chance you'll be able to install and boot onto Mac OS X 10.8

Sorry, but please forget your idea about installing in an external USB drive (USB 3.0 from what I know freezes the computer on Mac)

So backup the partition, and give it a try

You said you wanted to be special no?

So backup Windows to an external hard drive, boot onto Multibeast USB (USB 2.0 port please), and start the adventure! :)

Yeah

Boot with Multibeast USB

If it boots, and you get to the installer screen, there is a BIG chance you'll be able to install and boot onto Mac OS X 10.8

Sorry, but please forget your idea about installing in an external USB drive (USB 3.0 from what I know freezes the computer on Mac)

So backup the partition, and give it a try

You said you wanted to be special no?

So backup Windows to an external hard drive, boot onto Multibeast USB (USB 2.0 port please), and start the adventure! :)

do u think u could give me the link to a guide on how to do this? and from your advice, this would make mac os my primary os and windows as secondary?

do u think u could give me the link to a guide on how to do this? and from your advice, this would make mac os my primary os and windows as secondary?

actually, i got a hold of an external optical drive now, would i be able to boot from the dvd drive and install it onto the external hard drive from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back