Contribute
Register

OS X 10.9 Mavericks on Lenovo ThinkPad X220

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have re-installed changing the process to create the installation medium as follows:

- Make sure "Master Boot Record" is selected among the options: "Apple
Partition Map" and "GUID Partition Table"

The systems is still unable to boot from the internal drive.

Patching the installer to install to MBR is not recommended.

I'm running Mavericks on my X220t.

These two threads were most helpful:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=105334
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=102098

As I understand, you can't boot a GPT partition on the X220(t). You have to use a patched installer to install to an MBR partition.

I have wifi working using a Dell 1510 card I got from ebay. IMPORTANT: If you swap out your wifi card, your X220(t) will not boot due to a BIOS WLAN card whitelist. You will have to flash your BIOS with a hacked version first. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION. You'll need a windows partition to boot from in order to flash the bios. The BIOS update boot CD from Lenovo can not be edited to install the hacked BIOS through any means I could find.

I am using VoodooPSController.kext for the trackpad/trackpoint. It doesn't work well. See this issue: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/issues/3

Basically what happens is that if you want to drag something you have to try several times to get it. The mouse also clicks sometimes while moving the cursor with the nipple. It looks like the developer isn't going to work on this issue... so someone else will need to attempt to patch VoodooPS2Controller.

Battery monitor isn't working yet.. probably need some additional kexts. Sleep works after editing DSDT.

Brightness control works using Scrlk and Pause keys.

Audio partially works using VoodooHDA.kext. Sometimes it works at boot sometimes it doesn't. I lose sound after sleep and have to manually reload VoodooHDA.kext.. There's some discussion in the links above about possible solutions. The "best" solution being a patched AppleHDA with Conexant audio support, although the version I found doesn't work with Mavericks it appears. Automatic headphone detection doesn't seem to work either.. you have to manually switch to headphones or speakers using Sound prefs.

Bluetooth works.

Haven't tried the wacom pen or the touchscreen yet, but reports I've read say they don't work.

:beachball:

EDIT: Also have not yet tested: VGA, DisplayPort, ExpressCard slot, or UltraDock.

EDIT: Using ApplePS2Controller and AppleACIPS2Nub from here got my TrackPoint working without the dragging issue linked to above: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=105334

I think this is based on an older version of VoodooPS2..

I also now have sound from the internal speakers using the DSDT and kext on this Chinese forum:
http://bbs.pcbeta.co...311325-1-1.html

I translated the site with Chrome in order to register for download, after which you have to perform the forums tasks to earn download credits (see "Tasks(4)" at top of your screen after you login). I did the task to add all your profile info.

The X220t supposedly has a CX20672 but codec dumps show CX20590. :/

I still do lose sound from the internal speakers after sleep. This is probably due to general sleep issues and not AppleHDA... when I wake from sleep, the X220's moon led is still lit, and sometimes the power button led continues to pulse.

EDIT: Battery status is working with these: http://www.osx86.net/files/file/1204-smart-battery-no-need-dsdt/

Thanks for sharing your experience! Based on that I am thinking perhaps it might be easier to attempt the installation on a "CustoMac" desktop...

I all,

so I have a fully working 10.8.5 on x220. Now I am trying to get 10.9 working as well.

Starting point:

X220 with all kext working in 10.8.5
USB with Unibeats 3.0.1 installation.
New SSD.

So first I need to patch the Unibeast USB for MBR support as the X220 is not GPT booting capable.
Once done, i proceed to install 10.9.

Installation goes smooth. after that I ran Chimera or Chameleon to make the SDD bootable.
So now I have a bootable Machine that only needs to be patch for kext and dsdt.

As I have the ones from 10.8.5 y start patching, I am using Kext utility to patch the kext files.

the issue I have is that I am getting and error from the kext utility saying kext were not able to be installed...

Does anyone has a clue ?

Do I need to find same kext but specially made for Mavericks ?

Thanks

M

I all,

so I have a fully working 10.8.5 on x220. Now I am trying to get 10.9 working as well.

Starting point:

X220 with all kext working in 10.8.5
USB with Unibeats 3.0.1 installation.
New SSD.

So first I need to patch the Unibeast USB for MBR support as the X220 is not GPT booting capable.
Once done, i proceed to install 10.9.

Installation goes smooth. after that I ran Chimera or Chameleon to make the SDD bootable.
So now I have a bootable Machine that only needs to be patch for kext and dsdt.

As I have the ones from 10.8.5 y start patching, I am using Kext utility to patch the kext files.

the issue I have is that I am getting and error from the kext utility saying kext were not able to be installed...

Does anyone has a clue ?

Do I need to find same kext but specially made for Mavericks ?

Thanks

M

What kexts are you replacing? Note: What you're doing is a kext rollback (+patch) since the kexts you have are likely not from 10.9. You are generally lucky if it works at all, and it is considered bad practice. You should patch 10.9 kext instead.

Hi Rehabman,

thanks for the reply.

What do you recommend then ? Look for the same kext but 10.9 patched or try to patch them from the ones I have ?

I have no clue what patching kext means so any starting point ( this question already notice I have nothing to go with patching... :lol::lol:).

The kext I used int 10.8.5 were:

ACPIMonitor
AppleACPIPlatform
AppleACPIPS2Nub
AppleHDA
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement
ApplePs2Controller
AppleRTC
EvOreboot
FakeSMC
IntelCPUMonitor
SuperIOFamily
VoodooBatery

THANKS

Hi Rehabman,

thanks for the reply.

What do you recommend then ? Look for the same kext but 10.9 patched or try to patch them from the ones I have ?

I have no clue what patching kext means so any starting point ( this question already notice I have nothing to go with patching... :lol::lol:).

You didn't say which kexts you were installing...

sorry, we crossed posts. I was editing mine to include te kexts.

Can I also use the same dsdt and ssdt from previos one ?

THANKS again

Hi Rehabman,

thanks for the reply.

The kext I used int 10.8.5 were:

ACPIMonitor
AppleACPIPlatform
AppleACPIPS2Nub
AppleHDA
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement
ApplePs2Controller
AppleRTC
EvOreboot
FakeSMC
IntelCPUMonitor
SuperIOFamily
VoodooBatery

THANKS

Two of the patched kexts you have there are: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, and AppleRTC... are available in Multibeast. AppleHDA is also a patched kext, and it may work even though it is a rollback but it depends on how old it is. You should probably build a correct version for your codec. AppleACPIPlatform is probably a rollback (not patched). There is a rollback available in Multibeast (from SL).

IntelCPUMonitor, SuperIOFamily, ACPIMonitor and FakeSMC are all part of slice's FakeSMC branch. Multibeast includes FakeSMC from kozlek. You should not mix kexts from kozlek and slice's branch of FakeSMC.

VoodooBattery, EvOreboot, ApplePS2Controller, AppleACPIPS2nub are not rollbacks, or patched kexts. These are open source kexts (some available in Multibeast) and there may be updated versions compared to the ones your using.

Hi,

I would like to ask if anyone of you have solved the problem with booting up with chimera or chameleon. I have tried installing both but none of it allows me to boot up without using my USB drive. I came from a fresh install of Mavericks and added ran multi beast with fakeSMC, IntelEthernet100E, PS2KeyboardMice, USB3.0 and chimera. Also ran it with the ACPIPlatform 10.8.1 Rollback. Is there any steps that I have missed? Thank you.

JM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back