Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP ProBook 4530s (Clover)
CPU
i3-2350M
Graphics
Intel HD3000, 1920x1080
I just got my ProBook 4530s (A7K05UT) today, with the Realtek wifi card. I replaced that with a Atheros card from eBay (this is the exact item) however it doesnt work.

I have seen this link posted on several threads in this forum, and it seems to work for everyone, however when I replaced the card and booted, I got an error saying the WLAN module is not supported. I even verified the part I received to the HP Partsurfer website and it matches exactly. I know HP Bios only accepts the whitelisted cards, and everyone said this one would work. I tried it with F0 bios first and then upgraded to F23 but no luck. I also tried resetting the BIOS, still nothing.

Did anyone else have the same issue? Any advice?

I just got my ProBook 4530s (A7K05UT) today, with the Realtek wifi card. I replaced that with a Atheros card from eBay (this is the exact item) however it doesnt work.

I have seen this link posted on several threads in this forum, and it seems to work for everyone, however when I replaced the card and booted, I got an error saying the WLAN module is not supported. I even verified the part I received to the HP Partsurfer website and it matches exactly. I know HP Bios only accepts the whitelisted cards, and everyone said this one would work. I tried it with F0 bios first and then upgraded to F23 but no luck. I also tried resetting the BIOS, still nothing.

Did anyone else have the same issue? Any advice?

I bought an HP one like this from this vendor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Atheros-...work_Cards&hash=item43b0442704#ht_2743wt_1062

same probook with bios f20 and it works for me.

dave

That's the exact same item and vendor I ordered from. What model is your ProBook?

I will try changing my BIOS to version F20 and see if that works.

EDIT: So I updated to 10.7.4 and changed the BIOS to F20. Now the Bluetooth works, but still no Wi-Fi. The light on the wifi button is now white - was orange before. Any help?

I bought that card from the same ebay vendor and it works but only if I'm literally
right next to the router in both Windows and OSX. Put the realtek back in for now and I'm waiting on a new atheros
from HP.

I dont think distance is an issue, because the wifi card never gets enabled. Only the Bluetooth works at this point, which is weird since its the same module.

Do you think that a defective unit can cause it to be rejected by BIOS?

I bought the exact same card as daver99, from exactly that link. (Also same model ProBook as the OP) It works great. Range is fantastic as well. (Wireless N).

Did you check the simplest things first? Like double/tripple checking that the card is seated properly? (Try reseating it to be sure?) That the black(2) white(1) leads are on the correct connectors, and firmly attached?

Did you check the card itself that the pins aren't damaged or obstructed in anyway, or any other signs of defect?

If the above checks out, then I would suspect the card is somehow damaged or defective.

Guys I bought the exact same card from that exact ebay vendor as well and
it does not work. Ordered a brand new one from HP and it arrived a little
while ago and I popped it in. New HP card works perfectly. Therefore my advice is to try
another card. I went with a new one to avoid any more hassle.

I bought one off eBay from China and it works fine on 10.7.4 BIOS Rev. 23.

The first time I started up it could not get DNS but after another reboot it works fine.

I have tried re-installing the card a few times, and making sure the leads/wires are properly connected. It still doesnt work. I think the card is defective, so I have requested a replacement card from the seller. I will let you know if the new card works. If not, I will try purchasing from the seller in China. Looks like there are only 2 major eBay vendors who sell this part - one from Flushing, NY and the other one in Shenzen, China.

I've contacted them (nytek from flushing NY) and they are letting me return
it for a refund since I already got a brand new one from HP in here that
works excellent. The cards from the NY seller are used not new and probably
were pulls from non working laptops so not uncommon for some of them to
be defective. I didn't feel like going back and forth so just ordered new from HP but... Good luck with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back