Optiplex 9010, NVMe Boot, How to install Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9010
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
Intel > Need model number > See Forum Rules!
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have used the following thread:

to install Mavericks on a Dell Optiplex 9010. It has been working great and I am very grateful for that thread and this website for making that happen. Thank you!

I just updated the BIOS on this machine to boot from NVMe using this procedure:

It works great. Windows 10 is on the machine and booting from the NVMe drive.

But not my prepared Unibeast USB drive from the first link no longer works. Would someone kindly please help me with updating the procedure for installing Mavericks on this updated 9010?

Thank you in advance!

I have used the following thread
That guide uses the older Chimera bootloader. Is that what you're using now ?
When you performed the BIOS mod were you using A30 or something older ?

Last edited:
That guide uses the older Chimera bootloader. Is that what you're using now ?
When you performed the BIOS mod were you using A30 or something older ?

Thank you for your response.

>>That guide uses the older Chimera bootloader. Is that what you're using now ?

It was years ago. My memory was following the instructions as is.

Not in a position to run it at the moment. Have CH341A BIOS images and can regress to run the drive if you would like me to.

>>When you performed the BIOS mod were you using A30 or something older ?

A30

Thank you.

My memory was following the instructions as is.
If so then yes, you are still using Chimera.

Would you like to start using Clover and a newer version of macOS ?
High Sierra would let you at least run up to date versions of Chrome or Firefox.
The versions that work with Mavericks are no longer supported.

Ouch.

This setup needs to stay at Mavericks.

Custom software and 3rd party software will need updates to move forward. Also, I have tested the setup on a MacBook and Mavericks is a sweet spot for performance. OSX versions after that get progressively slower. So I must stay with Mavericks.

Is there any hope?

Thank you.

Custom software and 3rd party software
What exactly is the software ? Audio related ? If so you can probably keep using Mavericks.

The expert here on audio builds using mavericks is @Nodarkthings he may have some ideas for you.

Last edited:
Custom database app.

>>If so you can probably keep using Mavericks.

Sorry I am confussed. Are you directing me to @Nodarkthings for help getting Mavericks to boot on the NVMe drive?

Thank you.

Custom database app.

>>If so you can probably keep using Mavericks.

Sorry I am confussed. Are you directing me to @Nodarkthings for help getting Mavericks to boot on the NVMe drive?

Thank you.
Unfortunately I don't use NVMe drives so I can't help you for that part. All I can tell is that Mavericks runs perfectly on an SSD with the latest version of OpenCore — I ditched Clover last year and Chimera 4 years ago... So my recommendation would be to switch your bootloader to Clover or OpenCore (rather OpenCore, as you've got to learn something new anyway, in my opinion).

EDIT: I see your note about a "Custom database app", you can also install a recent MacOS and use Mavericks in a virtual machine only for that app. That's a lot of things to learn if you're not familiar with all that stuff, but you'll have a more up to date setup (most browsers have dropped 10.9 years ago). If you do all your daily work in Windows 10, then go on for installing 10.9 as you planned.
If you need audio apps, then forget the virtual machine option, doesn't work well for audio.

Last edited:
Sorry I am confused.
Mavericks and Chimera bootloader were in use here around 9 years ago. They are pretty much ancient history. You can still use them but most people have moved on long ago. @Nodarkthings still runs Mavericks via OpenCore with success so I wanted to get some ideas from him to determine the options for you. As he pointed out, booting Mavericks from an NVMe SSD isn't a viable option.

It looks like your best option will be a dual boot with each OS on a separate drive. Obviously Mavericks will reside on the Sata SSD. I would remove the Windows NVMe for now and work on getting Mavericks booting properly. We can help you out with that.

I just updated the BIOS on this machine to boot from NVMe
Also check that your BIOS settings are still correct for booting Mavericks. Flashing a modified BIOS can affect some of the other settings you had changed before.

If your data base app (for Mavericks) is mission critical I'd suggest you not even run Windows on the same machine but of course, it's your choice. Another Dell 9010 with a 3770 shouldn't cost much on Ebay. I always keep macOS and Windows on separate machines to avoid conflicts of the OS. You could get another 9010 and run Mavericks on that, even on the included HDD if you want to save money. Running old OS X versions that use HFS+ on a HDD works surprisingly well. APFS on an HDD is painfully slow.

Here's one for about 90 USD on Ebay. Less than what some new 1TB NVMe drives cost.

A MT version costs about the same with shipping included. Doesn't come with a HDD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back