Contribute
Register

Optimal mATX Sandy Bridge Build suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi tonymacx86.com,

Long time lurker here. I am finally determined to take the plunge and would like some help compiling a list of parts to order. However, it seems not much data has been compiled about the mATX sandy bridge boards. Is it safe to assume that it will work out of the box since it's the same chipset? Two options (as an example) are linked below.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
MSI Z68MA-ED55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68

I plan on using the Intel i5 2500k processor.

As for the graphics card, I just want to be able to run Starcraft II on comfortable settings :D. I don't know how the current slew of graphics cards handles it but my macbook pro needs to stay on low settings to play without noticeable performance hits during ladder games.

The primary use of the computer will be to do development (iphone, web, mac), run Logic Pro, and edit vector and raster images. I will probably pick up an SSD as a boot/application drive.

Finally, mods, I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I considered moving it to "buying advice" but I decided to put it here since it pertained specifically to Sandy Bridge platforms as well. Feel free to move it if you deem it appropriate.

Sincerely,
Spartacus

I would second the question. I too am looking for a low-profile mATX Sandy Bridge build, and as spartacus writes, there seems to be two options here (since ASUS hasn't stepped up to the plate with a mATX Sandy Bridge mobo).

I was leaning toward purchasing the Gigabyte and hoping for the best, since the MSI boards have caused so much trouble and aren't able to be run without a modified kernel.

Thoughts? If not, I may just bite the bullet and wait for the Asus P8Z68-V PRO to come back in stock.

The whole p8h67/h67 line supports sb. There are a few micro atx options in that line.

I think theshiv has a similar question: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=19884

I am eager to hear what come of this build. My ideal hackintosh is a mATX with Core i7 2600K + 16GB RAM + SSD for a photo and video editing powerhouse!

Thanks for the link. I'm going to wait about a week to see if more information surfaces for the Z68 chipset. Otherwise, I will go ahead with the current chipset and hopefully post a guide if (crosses fingers) I get everything functional.

My set is on mATX and is running SC2 at maximum detail and 1920x1080 no issues. I would go for a 5850 or 6850 btw. (just few pennies more, and twice the power)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back