Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a webcam that works using the macam driver http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/ but it will not work in any of apples programs (iChat, Facetime, Photo Booth) I was just wondering if anyone knows of any way to make these programs recognize the webcam?

Hello,

since a couple of days I was in pure "Reading Mode" to collect as much information as possible from this great forum. As a Mac-only user I was looking for an OSX-based NAS, so I've purchased the GA-H67N-USB3, i3 2105 and 4GB RAM. Put the stuff in a Fractal Design R2 case and was able to directly install Lion:

1. Booting with rBoot
2. Installing Lion 10.7 from a USB stick created with xMove
3. Updating to 10.7.2 and without a reboot installing MB 4.0.2 with the settings provided in tonymacx86 #1 posting
4. Repaired permissions and rebooted
5. Installed Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx Driver
6. Repaired permissions and rebooted
7. Installed the "CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit" provided by Toleda
8. Repaired permissions and rebooted

After all the installation went quite well, but I have the following problems/questions:
1. Is there a possibility to create a bootable USB stick with rboot on it? I've searched the forum and tried different solution, but without success.

2. "Connie Mac" stated in previous postings about audio issues and that playback using the rear green port is muted. I have the same problem.

3. With the tuneup kit is it possible to wake from sleep with two button presses (1: CPU, 2: GPU). Is there a way to wake the CPU&GPU with just one button press?

4. I'm not able to access the GA-H67N-USB3 while in sleep mode from my Macbook using "Screen Sharing". When I try to connect the board awakes, but a connection is not established (seems like the board stays in the #1 mode (CPU awake), because there is not video signal). When I press the power button I get a video signal and I'm able to connect via "Screen Sharing".

5. After waking from sleep there are artifacts on the screen (vertical lines). They go away after a screen refresh / new drawing of the screen.

Thanks in advance for your help!
ripe_md

ripe_md said:
Hello,

since a couple of days I was in pure "Reading Mode" to collect as much information as possible from this great forum. As a Mac-only user I was looking for an OSX-based NAS, so I've purchased the GA-H67N-USB3, i3 2105 and 4GB RAM. Put the stuff in a Fractal Design R2 case and was able to directly install Lion:

1. Booting with rBoot
2. Installing Lion 10.7 from a USB stick created with xMove
3. Updating to 10.7.2 and without a reboot installing MB 4.0.2 with the settings provided in tonymacx86 #1 posting
4. Repaired permissions and rebooted
5. Installed Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx Driver
6. Repaired permissions and rebooted
7. Installed the "CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit" provided by Toleda
8. Repaired permissions and rebooted

After all the installation went quite well, but I have the following problems/questions:
1. Is there a possibility to create a bootable USB stick with rboot on it? I've searched the forum and tried different solution, but without success.

2. "Connie Mac" stated in previous postings about audio issues and that playback using the rear green port is muted. I have the same problem.

3. With the tuneup kit is it possible to wake from sleep with two button presses (1: CPU, 2: GPU). Is there a way to wake the CPU&GPU with just one button press?

4. I'm not able to access the GA-H67N-USB3 while in sleep mode from my Macbook using "Screen Sharing". When I try to connect the board awakes, but a connection is not established (seems like the board stays in the #1 mode (CPU awake), because there is not video signal). When I press the power button I get a video signal and I'm able to connect via "Screen Sharing".

Thanks in advance for your help!
ripe_md

3. Put Kernel Flags darkwake=0 in the .plist (but then you have no Wake on Lan)

I am about to build a similar hack. core i5 2500k, 2X4gb Ripjaw ddr3, Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 mini ITX, Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 250gb HD, Intel HD3000 graphics, APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX with 250w PSU.

My question is will the 250w PSU be enough power everything sufficiently? I am concerned because the 2500k is quad core and Tony's build is for the i3 2105 dual core.

Thanks,
NiteOrDayJ

niteordayj said:
I am about to build a similar hack. core i5 2500k, 2X4gb Ripjaw ddr3, Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 mini ITX, Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 250gb HD, Intel HD3000 graphics, APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX with 250w PSU.

My question is will the 250w PSU be enough power everything sufficiently? I am concerned because the 2500k is quad core and Tony's build is for the i3 2105 dual core.

Thanks,
NiteOrDayJ

Won't be the RAM's too high? The PSU'll be enough. There are users who use the Mini with the 2500K.

Mate94 said:
niteordayj said:

Thanks,
NiteOrDayJ

Won't be the RAM's too high? The PSU'll be enough. There are users who use the Mini with the 2500K.

Awesome! Thanks.

ripe_md said:

Well, then, this sounds like a software issue. Has anyone successfully used the rear audio port with 10.7.2 (i.e., not muted)??

5. After waking from sleep there are artifacts on the screen (vertical lines). They go away after a screen refresh / new drawing of the screen.

I have artifacts on a seemingly random basis, but they do not occur all the time.

I used the 'tune-up kit' kexts in 10.7.1 and the AppleHDA rollback for 10.7.2. The 'tune-up kit' had the output out of the center channel (black) plug. The AppleHDA rollback output is the headphones (green) plug. I don't seem to have any muted sound issues but I don't have a 5.1/multiple speaker setup. The output device is "Internal Speakers" when using the rear plug and when I plug headphones to the front audio jack; it automatically switches the output device to "Headphones".

My build is pretty much the same as the guide.

antithetic said:
I used the 'tune-up kit' kexts in 10.7.1 and the AppleHDA rollback for 10.7.2. The 'tune-up kit' had the output out of the center channel (black) plug. The AppleHDA rollback output is the headphones (green) plug. I don't seem to have any muted sound issues but I don't have a 5.1/multiple speaker setup. The output device is "Internal Speakers" when using the rear plug and when I plug headphones to the front audio jack; it automatically switches the output device to "Headphones".

My build is pretty much the same as the guide.

And... what is the problem? :D

Oh none at all! :D

Just meant it for ConnieMac who was curious if others had no issues with the rear ports for sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back