Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

in the past I installed leopard 10.5.6 on my old amd socket 939 processorand to a gigabyte ep45 board, so I'm not unfamilliar with a lot terminal work, a lot of patience and research regarding hackintosh installs.

But this is keeping in the dark.

Setup:
GigaByte GA-P55-UD2
Intel i5 750
4 gb
Nvidia 9800 GT 512
Intel X25-m 80 gb ssd and a samsung 1 TB sata drive.

I restored a retail install disc of snow leopard 10.6.3 to my 8 GB usb flash drive. Burned Iboot Supported 2.0 to a blank CD. Dug up an old ide dvd burner and made a temp connection to the p55-ud2 (not going to use cd/dvd anymore).

Went to bios, selected optimal defaults, changed sata to achi, hpet to 64 and changed boot order:
cdrom
usb
Hard disk (connected to Sata 0)

Booting into iboot supported, no prob. After i select my usb drive to start the install, nothing happens. I just keep starring at the red apple logo.

Second boot, this time with -x, i see an error embios error. Next I tried to disconnet the ssd and use my sata drive. Same error, cant get past that.

I've tried an older package by tony and installed PCEFI after i restored the SL install on my usb, this makes me go into the install.

I want to use iboot supported because of the vanilla kernel. I need that in order to update safely because one of these days apple will support the Trim function for my SSD.

Is it a problem loading iBoot from an IDE drive?
Should I be using iboot nvidia instead of supported?
Should I be using the install dvd (bought one) instead of usb drive? (than i need to buy a sata dvd drive)

flatfoot said:
Why don't you just boot from the iBoot CD, eject it, insert the SL Install DVD, hit F5 for a rescan and choose the SL Install DVD when it pops up?
That's the way it's described in Tony's how-to.
I know that ide drives are shite with osx install, it needs to be a sata. I dint' have a sata drive, so i used an dmg instead of my SL disk

Just bought a sata dvd drive during my lunch break, will test that tonight.

Flatfoot, have you considered overclocking on your rig? i have the same cpu cooler, thinking about it. Should be able to get the cpu to 3 GHZ with this cooler.

muffstuff said:
flatfoot said:
Why don't you just boot from the iBoot CD, eject it, insert the SL Install DVD, hit F5 for a rescan and choose the SL Install DVD when it pops up?
That's the way it's described in Tony's how-to.
I know that ide drives are shite with osx install, it needs to be a sata. I dint' have a sata drive, so i used an dmg instead of my SL disk

Just bought a sata dvd drive during my lunch break, will test that tonight.

The install will work with the SATA drive, but the problem with IDE drives is to get them to work at all, and you obviously did, since you were able to boot with the iBoot CD. There should be no problem proceeding with the install as stated in the how-to.
Actually, Tony added IDE boot support a few weeks ago just for us folks who still have old IDE drives sitting around.

muffstuff said:
Flatfoot, have you considered overclocking on your rig? i have the same cpu cooler, thinking about it. Should be able to get the cpu to 3 GHZ with this cooler.

Nice article about the sensibility of overclocking the i5-750: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-efficiency,2500-3.html

I don't have my Hack yet, still saving some money...
Gonna go for 150/160MHz BCLK (don't want to increase Vcore) with TurboBoost enabled for maximum punch where I need it and SpeedStep enabled to optimize power consumption when there isn't much to do.
That's definitely possible on substantial air-cooling and the Mugen is substantial in my eyes. :)

Well, I used my sata drive and original install disk and snow leopard was set up in 25 minutes on my intel x25-m ssd drive!!

So I guess the 30 euro's was well spend on a official install disk, instead wasting several hours of screwing around with a corrupted image file.

Only problem i have is the loss of my magicmouse after reboot, have to do some bluetooth stuff for reconnection.

Also my xfx nvidia 9800GT fan is making a lot of noise (running at 80 % or so?), so I ordered an arctic turbo cooler to bring the noise down.

Anyway, thank tony, for the great multibeat installer and iBoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back