Graphics
GTX 560 SC
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I run my 2500K at 4Ghz with the stock cooler. My temps are about 105°F usually. I think you will be fine doing it even though Ivy Bridge runs hoter so keep an eye on the temps.

I hear that Ivy Bridge processors don't overclock as well as the older Sandy Bridge processors. On my Sandy-Bridge generation i5-2500K, I could overclock it to 4.0 GHz without overheating, on the stock cooler.

0sx86man011 said:
so could i go around 4.2 ghz? on stock cooler? or even higher?

To play it safe, go to 4Ghz. Then, get a dedicated cooler (I hear Noctua's are really good) and you can get to 4.6Ghz+ (probably 4.9Ghz) stable, but you'll need to edit your DSDT (check MacMan's blog).

0sx86man011 said:
so...stig...4.2 is the highest without edits? and if i went 4.2 on a stock cooler, or would it melt before it got there, would it be very hot and dangerously unstable?

Some say that he was born with a helmet on his head, and all the furniture in his house is carbonceramic, all we know his called the STIG!
Unfortunately, I wasn't born that way nor do I have that kind of furniture. :lol:

4.2Ghz is the highest without edits, but to be safe temps of less than 95 celsius are recommended. It's up to you - overclock that boot into Windows (hopefully you do) and run the Prime95 Torture Test - see where that gets you.

If I were to pull a number off the top of my head, I would say that you can go 3.8Ghz with turbo to 3.9Ghz. This is because ReallyFantastic and Albert both say that 4Ghz with a 2500k is ok with a stock cooler, and since Ivy overclocks worse than Sandy a 5% decrease doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Don't expect big differences, and I would personally wait until I get a third-party cooler before even thinking of overclocking, as I like temperatures under 75 celsius when possible. If you want to make the cheapest overclock with the least effort, get a Hyper 212 EVO and go to 4.2Ghz (with Turbo boost off).

On a completely unrelated note, you may want to update the specs in your user profile page. I currently see a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading...

knouroozi said:
0sx86man011 said:
so...stig...4.2 is the highest without edits? and if i went 4.2 on a stock cooler, or would it melt before it got there, would it be very hot and dangerously unstable?

Some say that he was born with a helmet on his head, and all the furniture in his house is carbonceramic, all we know his called the STIG!
Unfortunately, I wasn't born that way nor do I have that kind of furniture. :lol:

4.2Ghz is the highest without edits, but to be safe temps of less than 95 fahrenheit are recommended. It's up to you - overclock that boot into Windows (hopefully you do) and run the Prime95 Torture Test - see where that gets you.

If I were to pull a number off the top of my head, I would say that you can go 3.8Ghz with turbo to 3.9Ghz. This is because ReallyFantastic and Albert both say that 4Ghz with a 2500k is ok with a stock cooler, and since Ivy overclocks worse than Sandy a 5% decrease doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Don't expect big differences, and I would personally wait until I get a third-party cooler before even thinking of overclocking, as I like temperatures under 75 fahrenheit when possible. If you want to make the cheapest overclock with the least effort, get a Hyper 212 EVO and go to 4.2Ghz (with Turbo boost off).

On a completely unrelated note, you may want to update the specs in your user profile page. I currently see a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading...

Safe temperatures are 95 Celsius and under. Otherwise, I agree with this advice.

0sx86man011 said:
Some say he's the main cause of global warming and his stomach is reverse engineered to make the I-Phone. all we know is he's called the stig.

haha

well, what cooler would i need to go maybe up to 4.6 at the highest, but i dont want to spend a lot on it also.

The PC building community is crazy about the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. Evidently, it's the best budget cooler that you can buy.

If you're willing to spend more, then some of Noctua's high-end coolers are apparently really good. Like the Noctua NH-D14.

0sx86man011 said:
yeah...im going to go with the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO, its the updated version of the one you listed. that other bran is a bit too much out of my price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103099

and how do you make a link show different stuff. i can do it in html, but how do i do it here?

What do you mean by "show different stuff"? This topic is not the topic of conversation of this post, so if you want, we can migrate this over to PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back