Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Classic
  3. Power Mac
  4. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I've been trying to use ORICO NVMe SSD Enclosure 40Gbps enclosures with 4TB drives and have had mixed success. I first bought a 1TB WD_BLACK SN750I used with a slow-ish 10GBps ORICO enclosure, which has worked reliably. Then bought a 4TB Silicon Power XS70 (with the big heat sink) for use with the Orico 40Gbps enclosure and it's run flawlessly. These have been used as external storage I share between an M1 Mac Studio running Sonoma and my hackintosh. I also have a ACASIS Tool-free 40Gbps enclosure.

I wanted to expand my SSD storage with external enclosures, so I bought 2 more Oricos and 2 more 4TB Silicon Power XS70s (though with a slim heat sink), and experienced many spontaneous disconnects. Returned the Silicon Powers, and bought 2 Acer Predator GM7000 (with reportedly flakey Innogrit IG5236 controller?). Same deal. I did a lot of testing of various permutations -- different combinations of enclosures, drives, and combinations -- 4 at a time, 3 at a time, 2, and 1 by itself. Testing usually comprised copying about 300GB of data from one drive to another.

Some combinations are worse than others, but it's generally the 2 new drives being written to would disconnect. Though occasionally the "known-good" older drive disconnecting however, and sometimes when it wasn't being read from or written-to.

As I mentioned, apparently this Innogrit IG5236 on the Predators is known to be problematic, but I don't know if my disconnects are a symptom of that issue (I had read data loss down the road). And of course it doesn't explain why the 2nd and 3rd Silicon Powers, identical except for the heat sink, were problematic and prone to spontaneous disconnect. And while it seemed like disconnects were usually associated with a drive that had previously been written to (since the last time the computer rebooted or the drive re-mounted), I don't know that writing to the drives was definitively the issue.

Anyway, I'm wondering what drives and enclosures folks have used for this kind of added storage, whether I need to watch out for certain controllers or even brands (Sounds like Samsung doesn't play well with Macs, or is that an over-generalization)? Does MacOS just not like seeing the same brand enclosures, maybe some sort of hardware ID conflict? or same drives, or what?

1TB WD_BLACK SN750 used with a slow-ish 10GBps ORICO enclosure, which has worked reliably
If the WD works reliably why not buy more of those ? I've written numerous posts about those.

IDK which external NVMe enclosure is the best to use with macOS but the SSD itself is probably more important.

If the WD works reliably why not buy more of those ? I've written numerous posts about those.

IDK which external NVMe enclosure is the best to use with macOS but the SSD itself is probably more important.
Thanks for your prompt response!

I am definitely looking for recommendations but on the other hand, I thought I was going with the safe choice initially by buying more of the Silicon Power drives that I had good experience with.

That SN770 doesn't appear to come in 4TB sizes - any other WD drives (not Green I think I read somewhere?? maybe in your post actually, I think I saw that) that you would recommend that do come in 4TB?

Thanks for your prompt response!

I am definitely looking for recommendations but on the other hand, I thought I was going with the safe choice initially by buying more of the Silicon Power drives that I had good experience with.

That SN770 doesn't appear to come in 4TB sizes - any other WD drives (not Green I think I read somewhere?? maybe in your post actually, I think I saw that) that you would recommend that do come in 4TB?
And to answer your question, cost would be the reason

You missed the sales around Xmas 2023. They were selling for much less then. This was posted in Deals of the day.

1706389470338.png

Compared to what Apple charges for a storage upgrade in a Mac studio, these are very affordable.

$1200 for the Apple 4TB NVMe is a sick joke.

Screen Shot 11.jpg

You missed the sales around Xmas 2023. They were selling for much less then. This was posted in Deals of the day.

View attachment 577807

Compared to what Apple charges for a storage upgrade in a Mac studio, these are very affordable.
dang, that's amazing. Is it true SSD prices are only going to go up in 2024, or do you think something in the ballpark for this WD might happen again?

Let me ask a slightly different question. What are the cheapest 4TB SATA SSD drives I could get that should play nicely with MacOS? I'm thinking of offloading some video content for my Plex server off HDDs to SSD, and I bet SATA speeds would be more than adequate even for 4K content. I have this USB-C docking station that fits 2 HDDs/SSDs. I've been using it with an old 256GB drive for serving my MP3s, but I could imagine getting 2 4TB drives and storing Plex video media so I can avoid the spin-up time delay I experience with my spinning HDDs.

It seems like in general internal SATA SSDs are as expensive as faster NVMe drives and I don't get it.

Is it true SSD prices are only going to go up in 2024, or do you think something in the ballpark for this WD might happen again?
The supply of NVMe SSDs got really big by the Fall of '23. Mostly because they over produced after the pandemic faded away. Demand for computers and storage really dropped off so they had to lower prices dramatically. I doubt that prices will come down that much in 2024. At least not for higher end Gen 4 NVMe SSDs.

Last edited:
Back