Register

NVMe boot drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i7 6700HQ
Graphics
GTX 970M
being not able tos ee and install osx in my two 128gb ssd m2 drives I.m wondering if upgrading them to two
Samsung 950 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V5P512BW) will be able to install and boot from those drives

being not able tos ee and install osx in my two 128gb ssd m2 drives I.m wondering if upgrading them to two
Samsung 950 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V5P512BW) will be able to install and boot from those drives

What kind of SSDs do you have?

NVMe SSDs require NVMeGeneric.kext. It works but has several known problems. Better to use SATA M.2 SSD or AHCI M.2 SSD (Samsung SM951 AHCI).

Just to clarify, moving from a non-NVMe drive to NVMe is a downgrade as far as compatibility.

Last edited:
I have 2 of these and don't have an issue dual booting Windows and Mac OS other than the known issues with NVMeGeneric.kext. That said you should be able to make this work with your current SSDs.

The ssd that came with the laptop where the Windows 10 partition is located there are two in raid configuration I managed to format one of them but never saw it in disk utility.
I tried putting the nvmegenerickext in the clover folder on the sub drive but can't boot
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
128gb is too little for the kind of work I do even if I have two of them. I'm getting two Samsung 950 pro nvme although it will be nice to install in the ones that came with the machine if that is possible (I'm not quite sure with brand are the ones in my laptop)

The ssd that came with the laptop where the Windows 10 partition is located there are two in raid configuration I managed to format one of them but never saw it in disk utility.
I tried putting the nvmegenerickext in the clover folder on the sub drive but can't boot
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
128gb is too little for the kind of work I do even if I have two of them. I'm getting two Samsung 950 pro nvme although it will be nice to install in the ones that came with the machine if that is possible (I'm not quite sure with brand are the ones in my laptop)

Post output of 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal.

i do not have linux installed in the machine.
is there any osx or windows command equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back