Contribute
Register

Nvidia Update Didnt work! Help? (PROBLEM SOLVED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
Core i7 950
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6970
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
So I went about installing mac os today and i used the Nvidia update provided by tony to install. But, when I run mac os the display is locked in at 1280x800 or whatever default is. I read in the System Info and it does not identify my gpu. To check this i booted in verbose mode to see what was up and chameleon (latest) identified my card right (GTX 465) and the mac startup identified the GF100 die. It is a Zotac card (first strike, maybe.) with a deviceID of 10DE-06C4 (from GPU-Z) Please help!

I figured out that the Zotac ID did not match the kext so I had to manually define the card with an EFI string and the kexts worked FINALLY. Never buying zotac again. Go with Asus or something namebrand so you dont have this problem

I figured out that the Zotac ID did not match the kext so I had to manually define the card with an EFI string and the kexts worked FINALLY. Never buying zotac again. Go with Asus or something namebrand so you dont have this problem

How did you do this?

upton_oliver said:

Strange ... my Zotac GTX 460 1GB (vanilla version) worked OOB and it's on the rig that doesn't freeze

The problem is that there are not enough device id's added by nvidia so to use the drivers y ou must either identify by adding to the "Info.plist" in the GF100 kext and the NVResman kext or using an EFI string naming the device in com.apple.Boot.plist. I dont blame nVidia for getting lazy because it is not like many actual mac users are dropping fermi cards in. Maybe they seeked respect from the hackintosh world...

IrQ said:
How did you do this?

I got this done using OSX86tools. I clicked add efi strings and went through the instructions onscreen and it added to the com.apple.Boot.plist automatically. When doing this make sure you import your efi string to com.apple.Boot.plist. From there make sure you include any kernel flags that you may use.

elpibe10 said:
upton_oliver said:

Strange ... my Zotac GTX 460 1GB (vanilla version) worked OOB and it's on the rig that doesn't freeze

Great! I'm assuming that you are using a Gigabyte board as they provide the best support for os x. Our cards share the same vendorid but not the same productid and I dont think that tony can add every productid so he only added the popular ones i guess. 460s being the most popular hackintosh cards tony probably got all of the productids.

Hey i seem to be encountering the same problem, except i have a pny gtx465. Would it be possible to get some more detailed instructions to remedy this problem? I'm pretty new to troubleshooting computers and it would be greatly appreciated.

mo sizzle said:
Hey i seem to be encountering the same problem, except i have a pny gtx465. Would it be possible to get some more detailed instructions to remedy this problem? I'm pretty new to troubleshooting computers and it would be greatly appreciated.

Absolutely! Go on the internet and find yourelf a copy of osx86 tools http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/downloads/list. From there you want to click on the add efi strings button. You will need to scroll to the bottom of the graphics card options and select custom. Then put in your specs for your card. When completed select the import efi string option. Add any other kernel flags you may use in your os. When finished this will compile a com.apple.Boot.plist and place it in the correct location. The use of com.apple.Boot.plist is to tell your chameleon bootloader how to navigate and present your system to mac os.

Now, if you are wanting to get full QE/CI support (you will if you want your effects to be fluent) you will need to get the edited nvidia drivers from tonymac (viewforum.php?f=69/) and install. After doing so run "System Utilities" in MultiBeast. This will ensure that your gfx card drivers are ready for the next reboot. Reboot and you should find the true glory of your gfx in mac. To confirm that it works, go into dashboard and add a widget. If you get the ripple effect you have executed this correctly.

If it still doesnt work the problem may be chameleon so install the latest chameleon bootloader from MultiBeast. Reboot and if it persists to not work select the "PCI Root ID Fix For Chameleon" and your system should be functional. I hope you understand that these drivers arent stable yet for the GTX 4xx which can lead to freezes , but, I have had no freezes with my GTX 465

after retracing my steps i was able to fix the problem. not sure if the custom boo.plist was what did it. but i realized when i installed the new multibeast 3.1 i selected easybeast and then i selected all the other possible options (system utilities, drivers and bootloaders, customization, etc). i did not realize that many of the options require you to select one option under the sub categories. thats me being stupid and thinking it was as easy as checking everything. however, even after reading the guide there are still a couple options i am unsure about, which is probably why my audio and ethernet port does not work. any idea what i changes i need to make to fix those?

thanks again btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back