Contribute
Register

NVIDIA GeForce 5xx Graphics in Lion [TEST]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Holidays people. Good luck and high performance to you.

:headbang: Victory :headbang:

Okay, so please excuse my recent posts about the GTX_5xx Enabler. Something it did (or i did by accident is more likely) caused random KPs related to my audio, and while trying to remedy that situation, i lost track of all the edits i'd made to vital files of my system -- Soo from a fresh install of 10.7.2, this is how i got my MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GDS (2048mb) working properly.

Before you start, get your simplified build working so you can see when something is going wrong... I was able to get my system bootable with fully functional networking, audio, etc, and just work from a 1024x728 resolution. Make sure you have a bootable backup drive! This has saved me from having to do a clean install countless times.

Since my initial issue was with my audio, it may be important to note that I enabled audio with AppleHDA Rollback and VoodooHDA 0.2.1 from Multibeast.

First, I did use the GTX_5XX Enabler and installed the bundled CUDA Drivers from osx86.net at first, since it worked for me the first time. Unfortunately it didn't work this time, but I'm unsure if it is a contributing factor to my success:
http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2074

After relentless trial and error of some of the methods in this thread, i remembered that I had a backup drive that was working with the graphics card... Soo I examined the org.chameleon.boot.plist and my NVDAGF100Hal.kext -- the latter already had my device ID(1200) present, although I hadn't edited it. Perhaps this is what the GTX_5xx enabler did.

I'll attach all of my files, but here is the code from my org.chameleon.boot.plist:

Code:
<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>arch-i386 npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string></dict>

And here is the code from my kext's info.plist:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
	<string>English</string>
	<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
	<string>NVDAGF100Hal</string>
	<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
	<string>NVDAGF100Hal 7.12.9 270.05.10f03</string>
	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
	<string>com.apple.nvidia.nvGF100hal</string>
	<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
	<string>6.0</string>
	<key>CFBundleName</key>
	<string>NVIDIA GF100 Resman Kernel Extension</string>
	<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
	<string>KEXT</string>
	<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
	<string>7.12.9</string>
	<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
	<string>????</string>
	<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
	<string>7.1.2</string>
	<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
	<dict>
		<key>NVidiaRM</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.nvidia.nvGF100hal</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>NVDAGF100HAL</string>
			<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
			<string>IOService</string>
			<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
			<string>
				0x06c010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
				0x0dc010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
				0x0e2010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
				0x0ee010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
				0x0f0010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
				0x104010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
				0x124010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
				0x120010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
				0x120110de&amp;0xffe0ffff							       
                                0x125110de&amp;0xffe0ffff
				0x108110de&amp;0xffe0ffff
				0x108010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
				0x108810de&amp;0xffe0ffff
			</string>
			<key>IOProbeScore</key>
			<integer>60000</integer>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
	<string>1.2.0</string>
	<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
	<dict>
		<key>com.apple.NVDAResman</key>
		<string>1.2.0</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
		<string>9.0.0</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
		<string>9.0.0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	<string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I also took the GeforceGLDriver.bundle from the functional drive as well, see attached files. I had initially tried one from osx86.net that was bundled with a nvdgafhal100, stated to be for my graphics card, but i got a KP citing that the bundle couldn't load.

Kexts were repaired with Kext Utility.

My system ID is 3,1 -- again, i'm not sure how much of an impact this has, but I'd just as well not tinker with it. One of the biggest differences between my drives was the addition of the arch-i386 flag on the working drive. As I've read, this is intended for a 32-bit, however I'm noticing that my system is still recognizing all 8gb of ram -- all i know is it works!

I've got ripple, chess spins, smooth transitions, Diablo II runs great (for what that's worth, haha!)

I think that's everything -- good luck! I'm no pro at this, but feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them if i can! :D

Here's my cinemark score -- Not really sure how it compares, but I don't care! It runs!

Attachments

• MSI N560GTX-Ti.zip
    16 MB · Views: 74
cinema5d said:
I've almost been able to get the Asus 580 working on 10.7.2 but somethings not right with CUDA. Anybody got any hints?

Mobo: GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.2GHZ
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB kit @ 1600
Graphics: Asus ENGTX580 DCII

I used these files to make it work:
http://www.osx86.net/view/2074-gtx_5xx_enabler.html
http://www.osx86.net/view/1533-gtx580_lion.html

My /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:
Code:
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 darkwake=0 arch=x86_64</string>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>

Opengl and opencl seem to work fine.
In Premiere CS5 I can sometimes choose "mercury playback engine", sometimes unless I'm too quick at startup as then its grey.Theres no difference in performace, with or without "mercury playback hardware" enabled, its always software jittery. What to do? Have tried multiple kexts and boot.plst settings.

Thanks

I have a similar setup, I recommend using the current kexts which correspond to 10.7.2:

http://www.osx86.net/view/1942-gtx580_lion_10.7.2.html

my org.chamaleon.Boot.plist

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string></string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Choose_Your_OS(black)</string>

Do not use kernelcache not know why I continued decreases performance, using

<key> Graphics Mode </ key>
<string> </ string>

Also that for some reason, I also reduce performance.

To those attempting enabling a 5xx card on release 10.7.2:
Yes, it can be done
Yes it works great

BUT there are some trade offs.

1) Reboot doesn't work or is broken due to the unofficially supported card. The monitors turn of but the BIOS never relaunches. No biggie just hit the reset button. I'm 90% that MacOS is down safe.
2) Shutdown doesn't work or is broken due to the unofficially supported card. The monitors turn of but the BIOS powers down the machine. No biggie just hit hold the pwr button for 4 seconds. I'm 90% that MacOS is down safe.
3) Sleep is EXTREMELY flaky. For me 25% of the time it leads to a crash of some sort. This is a big deal for me.

So, I'm back to using my 9500GT until I I hear that sleep is rock solid. I'm was using a 580 with a ga-x58a-ud3r. It worked great: full rez, all accelerations enabled, great scores from the benchmarks, graphic PwrMngt enabled. But reboot/shutdown is annoying and sleep is a killer. I tried a custom DSDT and one from the database. I tried with and without EcOreboot.kext. I stripped aftermarket kext down to the min and also tired throwing everything at it.

I would be thrilled of I'm wrong.

Best of luck

jboehm said:
Yes, it can be done
Yes it works great

1) Reboot doesn't work or is broken due to the unofficially supported card. The monitors turn of but the BIOS never relaunches. No biggie just hit the reset button. I'm 90% that MacOS is down safe.
2) Shutdown doesn't work or is broken due to the unofficially supported card. The monitors turn of but the BIOS powers down the machine. No biggie just hit hold the pwr button for 4 seconds. I'm 90% that MacOS is down safe.
3) Sleep is EXTREMELY flaky. For me 25% of the time it leads to a crash of some sort. This is a big deal for me.

So, I'm back to using my 9500GT until I I hear that sleep is rock solid. I'm was using a 580 with a ga-x58a-ud3r. It worked great: full rez, all accelerations enabled, great scores from the benchmarks, graphic PwrMngt enabled. But reboot/shutdown is annoying and sleep is a killer. I tried a custom DSDT and one from the database. I tried with and without EcOreboot.kext. I stripped aftermarket kext down to the min and also tired throwing everything at it.

Best of luck

I don't have any of the issues, that you are talking about.
It works fine by me...

jboehm said:
Yes, it can be done
Yes it works great

Best of luck

I also don't have any of those issues. My sleep and reboot work flawlessly.

Anyone tried it with iMovie '11? Is QE and CI support mandatory for it to work? Currently I'm not using my videocard as it just sits there collecting dust until OS X Lion has some proper driversupport for the videocard :p

Im getting the classic Fermi Freeze for a couple of seconds when playing video and then everything is ok again for a while. It will then do the same thing which is annoying when im previewing what im working on in FCPX..... Also when watching the finished product in Quicktime the same thing happens.....

Any ideas on what I need to do and can you make it as Noob as possible as I dont understand half of what gets written on here. Do I need to edit a Kext in someway to stop the freezing or stop the Graphics Card from idling?

djdavedoc said:
Im getting the classic Fermi Freeze for a couple of seconds when playing video and then everything is ok again for a while. It will then do the same thing which is annoying when im previewing what im working on in FCPX..... Also when watching the finished product in Quicktime the same thing happens.....

Any ideas on what I need to do and can you make it as Noob as possible as I dont understand half of what gets written on here. Do I need to edit a Kext in someway to stop the freezing or stop the Graphics Card from idling?

Search for agpm for applegraphicspowermanagement.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back