Contribute
Register

Nvidia announces budget friendly GeForce GTX 660 and 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Nvidia announces budget friendly GeForce GTX 660 and 650

Are these compatible with the current Nvidia Mac drivers? How soon can we buy one of these cars for our hackintoshes? I've got a GTS 250 that is long in the tooth and its itching to be replaced by a 660.

Just purchase MSI GTX650 with DDR5 @ 5000Mhz run great right out of box install ML

Which manufacturer is the example in this article for the GTX 650? I like how it doesn't take up 2 slots. I went to Newegg and couldn't find any like the picture in the article.

1. Not much of a difference in most cases, but some people are having issues due to slightly different graphics card BIOS' although it's impossible to say which cards will or won't work before someone's tested them. Zotac actually has a $139 card with DisplayPort output as well which looks nice, if a bit expensive.

Do you have a model number for that? I see a GTX 660 with a DisplayPort for $229 but I don't see any 550s with DP.

Thanks for this article. Just ordered the Gigabyte GV-N660OC-2GD from Amazon for $229. Free shipping. Almost bought a GTX 570 last week for $250. Glad I waited. This will be replacing a 6870 which will go back to the Windows only PC I pulled it from.

I bought Asus GTX 660 this friday (in place of my HD6850). I had kernel panics with every possible option in chimera (ML of course). The seller replaced it without any problem for 660 Ti which worked out of the box. I think we will have to wait a bit for 660 non-ti support.

I bought Asus GTX 660 this friday (in place of my HD6850). I had kernel panics with every possible option in chimera (ML of course). The seller replaced it without any problem for 660 Ti which worked out of the box. I think we will have to wait a bit for 660 non-ti support.

Dang, I really wanted to stay under $250 and the 660 has the best bang for the buck for the Nvidia side. But I also can't afford to be a trailblazer at the moment. Have to leave that to the professionals here. :) I ordered the CustoMac recommended Gigabyte GTX 670 for $360 @ Amazon and cancelled the 660. Should arrive on the 19th. Thanks.

I also ordered a GTX 660 (Gigabyte OC Edition) which didn't work - whether under Lion nor ML.
The NVDAGF100Hal.kext gets loaded, but the Desktop never appears. No Kernel Panic, no black or blue screen - nothing.
So it seems I have to trade in the GTX 660 for the GTX 660 TI..

[EDIT] Question 3: If I connect 3 screens, how to I select the only tow that are active? May sound silly, but I am thinking of switching between two screens from time to time (one being a 27" and the other a color accurate 19" or so when I need color accuracy).

3. You can't, at least not with the new Nvidia cards on a hack, as currently all the cards are limited to two display outputs.

Thanks a lot thelostswede for your answers

But regarding my question (3), I guess I wasn't clear enough. I know I can't have 3 monitors active at the same time, only 2.

But what I am trying to achieve is to physically connect 3 monitors: A, B and C. Then sometimes I want to work with A & B, and some other times A & C (without touching the connections, just by software).

So I am trying to understand how the GFX card chooses which 2 monitors to feed when 3 (or 4) are connected...
- Is there a hard-coded priority order of choice among ports?
- Can one select by software/firmware which monitors are active?
- Or will the card simply will not work if more than 2 monitors are connected?

I guess what I want to do is rather odd... but it makes sense to me. Most of the time, I'll be (very) happy with two 27" monitors, but those are not that good in terms of color accuracy and dynamic range. So I'd like to buy a small color-accurate screen (some old models can be had on the cheap), and switch when I am editing photos and video. Call me lazy for not doing it by swapping cables, but I work in a rather cramped space and swapping cables involves some gymnastics... ;)

Anyone? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back