Contribute
Register

nVidia 9600 GSO 768 on 10.6.8 going black when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.
***(1. At boot, I get this error:
"errors encountered while starting computer. pausing 5 seconds"
then the computer continues booting after 5 seconds)

I had that message after I removed a disk partition on my other hard drive w/ Win 7,
did not cause any problems though. Clean install on other hard drive solved problem.

***(There is a somthing86tool app that lets you edit/create a EFI string for video cards to fix these kind of problems, I think. I wish I knew what that was and how to use it.)

EFI Studio 1.1 and/or EFI Studio GTX 2XX - two different models of the same program.
OSX86Tools is another utility program to make/edit/install GFX string.
DVI/DVI string has been claimed to work.

Other thoughts:
Have you tried switching the DVI port(s) connnected to your monitor (is a DVI Adapter involved?)
Tried different monitor resolutions and Freqs.
Maybe even try a different boot loader.

Here is DVI/DVI Graphixs String if you wish to test....
Good Luck

Attachments

• gfxdd.pkg.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 55
pizzamac said:
***(There is a somthing86tool app that lets you edit/create a EFI string for video cards to fix these kind of problems, I think. I wish I knew what that was and how to use it.)

EFI Studio 1.1 and/or EFI Studio GTX 2XX - two different models of the same program.
OSX86Tools is another utility program to make/edit/install GFX string.
DVI/DVI string has been claimed to work.

Other thoughts:
Have you tried switching the DVI port(s) connnected to your monitor (is a DVI Adapter involved?)
Tried different monitor resolutions and Freqs.
Maybe even try a different boot loader.

Here is DVI/DVI Graphixs String if you wish to test....
Good Luck

Thanks for the reply. My graphics card only has 1 DVI port and 1 VGA port, no DVI adapter involved.

I also tried different monitors with different native resolutions, but the frequency is fixed at 60MHz and I could not change them. none of this helped.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index ... 6.8#NVIDIA list of compatible hardware list states that:

"GeForce 9600GSO EVGA" works with a "Custom EFI string ( 768mb, vga/dvi ) (One display will work with nVenabler 64 kext but I was only able to get dual display to work without it and by using a custom efi string from uInstaller)," with "yes" for QE, Dual Display, 32bit and 64 bit.

"GeForce 9600GSO XFX" works with "Chameleon GraphicsEnabler," with "yes" for QE, Dual Display, and 32bit, and "unknown" for 64 bit.

So,
1. how do I make a custom efi string "from uInstaller" or EFI Studio or the like?

2. how do I try "a different boot loader"? I used MultiBeast 3.10.0, which I thinks uses Chimera 1.7.0 r1394 and Chameleon RC5 Default for boot loader.

3. how do I use the gfxdd.pkg you sent me? what is it? and how do I uninstall it, in case it does not help and needs to be removed? PS: thank you for sending it to me. I wish I was more technically apt to know what to do with the help you are giving me. But thank you very much for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back