Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same issue with my 550 Ti. I cannot turn the monitor off or use a full screen application or sleep the monitor with out the issues described. The system is functional and responds to pings and ssh, but the display is toast.

I have ordered a 640 to use in the interim, but will keep an eye on this thread. Until the card arrives, I will go back to 10.7.4.

Changing NVRAM size in your DSDT or via EFI strings will not change the fact that the card is a 1024mb card. These entries are purely cosmetic and you can set them to whatever you like. OSX reads the card itself and uses the EFI/DSDT values as a reference point only. Just run the OpenGL Extensions viewer for example and you will see what I mean. The only way to change the size your NVRAM is is at BIOS level (of the graphics card). That is too drastic a measure. There has to be another common solution.

I have read if you install UEFI Bios this will fix the issue has anyone tried that?

Also, I have been reading that people aren't getting full graphic acceleration. I am, so if any one needs logs pulled. Just tell me.

I have similar issues with my Laptop install, GT 550M - 10.7.4 is perfect; 10.7.5 and 10.8.0 total barf. I have reduced the issues some by eliminating the AGPM.kext ... this does help during everyday tasks but sleep, hotplug, screensaving not a good idea yet. These issues also existed for me from 10.7.0 thru 10.7.3 with decreasing occurrence; at 10.7.4 they were extemely rare (once a week ...). Of course, the AGPM.kext is used to throttle your video card so it will be running full-speed all of the time ... I have attempted to mitigate this by editing the kext and forcing just one state with some success but the issues with sleep, etc. still remain.

I am running as a MBP8,3 - editing the AGPM.kext info.plist I delete all children under MBP3,1, copy the device and log children from under the MBP6,2 for Device...0a29 and rename it to Device...0dd6 (my card). I then edit the device entry and change the values under the Threshold_High (both of them) to 0 100 101 101 and Threshold_Low (both of them) to 0 0 101 101. The point of this modification is to prevent the AGPM.kext from actually changing state but instead just start in and stay in state 1. Set the value in the Log child to 1 to see these messages in your log.

As I said, some limited success but it doesn't seem to help the OpenCL DMA issue with display sleep or hotplugging. For gamers, you'll probably just want to delete the kext altogether.

I have a similar problem, with at GTS250 card.

My system will not wake from sleep at all - black screen so I've no idea what's actually going on.

Another issue (maybe related?) that I've seen is that sometimes when powering off, the system will not actually power down.

I have the same motherboard and UEFI BIOS, no DSDT, but yes to SDST and boot ML from an SSD.

I have read if you install UEFI Bios this will fix the issue has anyone tried that?

I am running the UEFI bios on my board and I still experience the issue.

Sold my 550Ti on eBay and replaced it with a 6870 after Tony was initially unable to reproduce the problem, guessing that it might take a while to sort this out. I'm still following this thread with great interest, however, and am glad to see that the problem has been confirmed and is getting the attention it deserves. :)

I'm having problems on using fullscreen apps, and seeing any kind of video on youtube or quicktime. Using a GTX 550Ti here, is there any way to solve this?

I'm having problems on using fullscreen apps, and seeing any kind of video on youtube or quicktime. Using a GTX 550Ti here, is there any way to solve this?

Thats what this thread is for lol, we're all trying different things and reporting back here. Its a well known issue now.

Thats what this thread is for lol, we're all trying different things and reporting back here. Its a well known issue now.

i didnt see much people talking about fullscreen and video issues, most of them was about sleep-wake isseus, so I got a bit worried.. lol

i didnt see much people talking about fullscreen and video issues, most of them was about sleep-wake isseus, so I got a bit worried.. lol

Right, well my 550 Ti is experiencing both..making it hard to play games or sleep.

I really dont care about sleep because I just simply turn my computer off when I'm done but the channel exception lockups are getting old.

I think the issues are one in the same honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back