Contribute
Register

NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just now having time to mess with this.. So you didn't change anything else, just left it as is. Just want to make sure wether or not I should copy post 84's agpm info or not. I'm taking it to mean by "gfx0 only" that you didn't hack anything.

Quick follow up. I actually ended up going ahead and editing the agpm kext anyway. It dind't fix anything however. I have been working off a cloned backup and after I let the screens go to sleep, the computer froze. I was stumped before, but now i'm really stumped...

Do the indents matter when editing the kext? I did a copy/paste job from post 84 into mine, repaired perms and thats where i'm at. Thing is when I pasted it placed all the lines of code on the left side, didn't think it mattered, but thought id double check.

I have to resort on changing my smbios to MacPro5,1 to rid of this channel timeout. I've spent time editing the AGPM for my EVGA GTX 650 Ti but with any systemdef for IB, I'll have the freeze specially watching youtube. Installing the Nvidia web driver get me a boot hang right before the bluetooth suppose to load. Anybody else using Ivy Bridge proc and Kepler gpu having the same problem? I can no longer use MacMini6,2 to have native power management on my 3570K.

Here's some info that might or might not be helpful, if you guys are running UEFI mobos.

[begin irrelevant stuff]
I've got two identical systems, both of which are i7-3770s on Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 mobos equipped with Quadro 2000s, and both running 10.8.3.

One of the two systems has experiencing odd problems whereby Adobe CS6 (pretty much any app in the suite) would at random times hang the system. I could move the mouse around, but wouldn't get any response from anything otherwise and had no option but to hit the reset button. At first I thought CS6 was at fault so I did a clean install, but the problem persisted.

The second system had been running fine in the two months since I updated to 10.8.3, and in fact I had been doing some very beefy projects in CS6 on it, and it handled them like a champ. A couple weeks ago I wanted to install Win7 on a second HDD of this system, and I set changed several BIOS functions from "UEFI" to "Legacy Only" before doing so. Installed Win7, did what I needed to do, then went back to OSX.

Shortly after, this system started developing the same behavior as the first system.
[end irrelevant stuff]

A few bits of info I googled elsewhere led me to a hunch that maybe there was something regarding the BIOS or UEFI that could affect it. I checked the first machine, and sure enough "Display Boot Option Control" was set to "Legacy Only". I set this to "UEFI First" (and just for good measure, I did the same for "Boot Mode Selection", "Storage Boot Option", and "Other PCI Device ROM Priority"). I've only been testing for half an hour, but so far so good. Too early to say if it fixed the problem yet, but something worth checking.

Here's some info that might or might not be helpful, if you guys are running UEFI mobos.

[begin irrelevant stuff]
I've got two identical systems, both of which are i7-3770s on Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 mobos equipped with Quadro 2000s, and both running 10.8.3.

One of the two systems has experiencing odd problems whereby Adobe CS6 (pretty much any app in the suite) would at random times hang the system. I could move the mouse around, but wouldn't get any response from anything otherwise and had no option but to hit the reset button. At first I thought CS6 was at fault so I did a clean install, but the problem persisted.

The second system had been running fine in the two months since I updated to 10.8.3, and in fact I had been doing some very beefy projects in CS6 on it, and it handled them like a champ. A couple weeks ago I wanted to install Win7 on a second HDD of this system, and I set changed several BIOS functions from "UEFI" to "Legacy Only" before doing so. Installed Win7, did what I needed to do, then went back to OSX.

Shortly after, this system started developing the same behavior as the first system.
[end irrelevant stuff]

A few bits of info I googled elsewhere led me to a hunch that maybe there was something regarding the BIOS or UEFI that could affect it. I checked the first machine, and sure enough "Display Boot Option Control" was set to "Legacy Only". I set this to "UEFI First" (and just for good measure, I did the same for "Boot Mode Selection", "Storage Boot Option", and "Other PCI Device ROM Priority"). I've only been testing for half an hour, but so far so good. Too early to say if it fixed the problem yet, but something worth checking.

Is yours still stable???

I just tried those settings, still get the errors. The quickest way for me to get them, is to open Safari, goto CNN.com, try to watch a video, freezes right up every time with an Ivy Bridge SMBIOS. No issues with the MacPro SMBIOS's.

I did not encounter either of those errors. Video on CNN.com plays fine on both machines in Safari and Firefox. However, I am using the MacPro3,1 SMBIOS. Pardon my ignorance, but what's the advantage of the Ivy Bridge SMBIOS?

I did not encounter either of those errors. Video on CNN.com plays fine on both machines in Safari and Firefox. However, I am using the MacPro3,1 SMBIOS. Pardon my ignorance, but what's the advantage of the Ivy Bridge SMBIOS?

Power Management, to get Speed step working with Ivy Bridge CPU's using an SSDT and Ivy Bridge SMBIOS. (i.e...iMac13.2, Macmini6,2 or MacBookPro10,1). I do get a small performance boost with Ivy Bridge power management working, but get the errors when watching videos with Safari. I'm staying with the MacPro SMBIOS for now, at least until these errors are fixed.

Update: It seems that only "Flash videos" cause the errors, I can watch HTLM5 videos with Safari, just fine. Maybe it's Adobe Flash that's causing the problems.

Update: It seems that only "Flash videos" cause the errors, I can watch HTLM5 videos with Safari, just fine. Maybe it's Adobe Flash that's causing the problems.
Flash causes the problem. It is caused by the current version of FlashPlayer (v...180). Solutions:
1. Chrome/YouTube
2. Safari/YouTube/HTML5 (Google Search)
3. Safari/YouTube/FlashPlayer (v...180)/Turn off Hardware Acceleration (Google Search)
4. Safari/YouTube/Uninstall Flash Player (Google Search)

Note: Downgrading does not work as older versions of FlashPlayer are blocked by OS X.
Advice: Do not update FlashPlayer (same as 4. above). Avoid using apps requiring FlashPlayer.

Flash causes the problem. It is caused by the current version of FlashPlayer (v...180). Solutions:
1. Chrome/YouTube
2. Safari/YouTube/HTML5 (Google Search)
3. Safari/YouTube/FlashPlayer (v...180)/Turn off Hardware Acceleration (Google Search)
4. Safari/YouTube/Uninstall Flash Player (Google Search)

Note: Downgrading does not work as older versions of FlashPlayer are blocked by OS X.
Advice: Do not update FlashPlayer (same as 4. above). Avoid using apps requiring FlashPlayer.

Thanks for the info!!! :)

Toleda, thanks for the info.
I encountered the dreaded "NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout" while experimenting with macmini6,2 SMBIOS to get the oh-so-sweet IB PM/speedstepping to work. After switching to imac13,2 SMBIOS I've not seen the error nor the complete gfx freeze since (okay so I lost all the speedsteps between min and max but don't really miss them that much).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back