Graphics
Intel 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
First off, I apologize if this question is stereotypical. I searched the forum for the notebook I'd like to turn into a Hackintosh but got no hits.

I just quit my job as a video editor to become a stay at home dad. This means I lose access to all my high end editing equipment, including a 12-core Mac I had a love/hate relationship with. I'd like to have a home editing system for freelance work, favors for friends and family, and editing videos of my kid. Like so many others, I do not feel like dropping $2500 on a 17" MacBook Pro when I can get the SAME HARDWARE in a Dell or other notebook for under $1000.

I'm looking at the Dell Inspiron 15R, 17R, and the XPS series. I have a Dell XPS 1640 now (don't want to Hackintosh that one).

My questions are:

1 - Does the Dell Inspiirion series make a good Hackintosh and does it install easily with everything working?

2 - Is the Dell XPS series any better/more stable/easier to install and get everything working?

3 - Are there any other video editors out there that have turned a laptop into a Hackintosh with amazing success and what notebook do you recommend?

4 - Does anyone have a recommendation for a different brand of notebook (current model with comparable stats to the Dells) that makes a very stable Hackintosh that's really easy to install?

I truly appreciate any help and advice I can get. My wife and I could use the extra income some freelance gigs could get us, but we just can't afford an actual Apple. And thank you for your patience with my noobiness.

If you want a laptop go with HP Probook 4530s.
In 10.7 Laptop section you can research more.

I'm mystified why a video editor is looking for a laptop/notebook which in itself does not fit with having a desktop machine handling video work on a laptop screen. If you look @ the laptop section, laptops are a lot of hard work getting it running even though not every function of the laptop will work as should once OS X is finally stable.

I fear you are looking at the wrong equipment for your needs.

Most of the freelancers in my (former) industry use the MacBook Pro. By itself it's a great, machine to take directly to the client's location or to the studio or location shoot to begin ingesting video files. I had the same thought about laptops as video editors, but they function very well, especially when docked to a larger keyboard, proper mouse, external hard drive and larger display. But I still want the greater functionality of a Windows machine, so I'm exploring the Hackintosh.

gcwyatt said:
Most of the freelancers in my (former) industry use the MacBook Pro. By itself it's a great, machine to take directly to the client's location or to the studio or location shoot to begin ingesting video files. I had the same thought about laptops as video editors, but they function very well, especially when docked to a larger keyboard, proper mouse, external hard drive and larger display. But I still want the greater functionality of a Windows machine, so I'm exploring the Hackintosh.

I understand the capabilities of a macbook pro but this is a pc laptop not a macbook pro.

I'm not even sure if there is a laptop choice for handling your needs that is the problem.

Question:

What kinds of [raw editing] files are you looking to use with this laptop?

I agree with Gordo74 on this because a pc laptop would not cut it for your work even though I was thinking of the 4530s but then on eBay you can purchase a used MBP for around 500-800 dollars which is within your budget.

I also thought you could have split the budget 500 for hack a desktop and 500 for the 4530s for mobility for your clients and whatnot.

It is your choice but a used or new macbook will suit your needs perfectly.

<big sigh of dissapointment> I was afraid of that. I was really hoping to find a Wintel laptop that loaded up OSX no problem and ran Final Cut Pro and Adobe CS5.5 like it was a native 17" MacBook Pro. I guessing it's not to be. No other suggestions?

gcwyatt said:
<big sigh of dissapointment> I was afraid of that. I was really hoping to find a Wintel laptop that loaded up OSX no problem and ran Final Cut Pro and Adobe CS5.5 like it was a native 17" MacBook Pro. I guessing it's not to be. No other suggestions?
2nd post. That's the only well-supportd laptop by the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back