Contribute
Register

Noob builder wants Dual Boot (OSX-Win7) and OC and easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the updated links did you notice-
"SOLD OUT" - this is what I was referring to, I think its all stop on these boards.

EDIT- Maybe I'm wrong, looks like Gigabyte released the new version.
http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=991
Available at NewEgg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128476&Tpk=GIGABYTE%20GA-P67A-UD3-B3

Let me add one more thing lest everyone get the wrong impression.

Adobe CS5 is very good at utilizing all available cores and memory, so a 2600K i7 may not improve things much over an 8 core (with 16 logical cores) all maxed out.

However other apps such as Apple Motion and Final Cut Pro rarely make a blip across the cores. You sit there waiting while they churn away and there is hardly anything on the activity monitor. I believe these apps will speed up remarkably by changing from 2.26 GHz processor to a 3.5 GHZ or more (with OC). Since I use CS5 only about a third of the time my user experience will hopefully be much improved...if I get it working.

Glad I didn't wait.

justruss said:
Just to add a voice of opinion: If you already have an 8-core Mac Pro and you're saturating all cores... I'd hold off on X58 (older i7) AND SandyBridge (i7-2600K), and wait for the next round of chips. Ivy Bridge will get you 6 or 8 core chips... and a much bigger upgrade. You'll have to wait 6 to 8 months, but you'll get better supported chips (because they'll be in Mac Pros) and you'll get much better power.

Glad I didn't wait for IvyBridge and got the SandyBridge i7-2600K. Turns out Ivy Bridge won't be shipping with more than 4 cores any time soon and is far more difficult to OC (after 4.5GHz) than sandy bridge. And we still don't have native support for ivy bridge in the osx kernal for our hackintoshes. And both Ivy Bridge and Mac Pro updates have been sloooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww.....

I love the 2600K build- its fast and has been rendering video for a long time already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back