Contribute
Register

No clue how to go about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I setup the laptop drive, installed ML and then ran Multibeast with the DSDT for my mobo, proper audio driver and ethernet driver. Removed the unibeast ML install USB and it booted, showed my new drive, started to boot and stopped at the silver apple screen with a "NO" symbol (like ghostbusters - see attached image)

Edit: I also pulled my 6850 out because the install instructions for ML recommended that for 6XXX graphics cards and then installing once we get everything running.

So I put the USB in, booted with the USB, chose the ML test install and same thing.

any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 71
"How exactly can I go about cloning the laptop drive over to the original drive? Won't it overwrite all my old data?"

Yes, Restore on Disk Utility will overwrite your data on the original disk. That is why you need to get a working system in Mountain Lion on another drive. You clone nothing until you feel confident.

That is why I suggested a second drive; you don't have to overwrite anything. Your previous 10.7.4 disk remains in reserve for a while. Then, you use it for Backups.

"Or are you suggesting that I overwrite all my old data, and then restore from a backup?"

No, you have to build a working Mountain Lion disk somewhere. That old laptop drive is a cheap way to do that. You probably only need 60 Gb or less. There will be issues with the laptop drive, slowness mostly, but they are fewer than any other possibility. The important thing is not to destroy the working system you have.

"How exactly can I go about cloning the laptop drive over to the original drive? Won't it overwrite all my old data?"

Yes, Restore on Disk Utility will overwrite your data on the original disk. That is why you need to get a working system in Mountain Lion on another drive. You clone nothing until you feel confident.

That is why I suggested a second drive; you don't have to overwrite anything. Your previous 10.7.4 disk remains in reserve for a while. Then, you use it for Backups.

"Or are you suggesting that I overwrite all my old data, and then restore from a backup?"

No, you have to build a working Mountain Lion disk somewhere. That old laptop drive is a cheap way to do that. You probably only need 60 Gb or less. There will be issues with the laptop drive, slowness mostly, but they are fewer than any other possibility. The important thing is not to destroy the working system you have.

I hear you... so I have my 10.7.4 disconnected from my hackintosh... I build a new 10.8 on an old laptop drive (120gb or something like that) and then i ran into the problem I posted right before your reply.

Once I get the laptop drive up and running perfectly... what is the process to turn my old 10.7.4 disk into the newly working 10.8 disk? I don't want to continue to run my OS off a 120gb 5400 rpm drive

it booted with the "-x" command (Safe mode, right?)

I am going to try running multibeast again and rebooting. maybe something went wrong?

No luck... booted with -v to see where it hangs and took this picture... any ideas?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 76
it need AHCI in motherboard Bios setting for "still waiting for root device"

I haven't changed anything in BIOS, just swapped in a new drive (in the exact same location as the old one)

do i still need to go in and change that?

Edit: Checked the BIOS settings... showed AHCI, saved and exited... same boot problem

Anyone else? Am I just stuck with 10.7.4 forever? lol

Found a guide for my board... Says I should click 3rd party SATA, I did and it loaded up... I am doing a fresh install now just to make sure I have all of the steps down before I upgrade my old drive.

"Once I get the laptop drive up and running perfectly... what is the process to turn my old 10.7.4 disk into the newly working 10.8 disk? I don't want to continue to run my OS off a 120gb 5400 rpm drive."

Disk Utility will allow you to Restore from another disk. It should be a direct clone of what you have.

Attachments

• Restore.jpg
    Restore.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 66
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back