Graphics
XFX HD6850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Im currently working on a project where I need to operate two computers running various feeds through Q-lab going into 9 monitors each and several projectors. The ideal solution is waaaay over budget.

So, first question, is it doable? I seen a couple posts where people had got six screens to work, so would nine be possible?

Second question, what would be the ideal hardware for this setup?

Thanks for any suggestions :thumbup:

:eek: :eek:
Maybe with 2 computer. 4 monitor on HD6870 and 1 with HD3000. And this twice in two individual machine.

Hmm... This MAY be possible actually...

You could get two 6870's (non crossfired) and plug 4 into one and 3 into the other, then use a Z68 motherboard with 2 digital video out (such as DVI and HDMI) and run the monitors that way... The only problem is, for the 3rd and 4th monitors on the 6870, you need ACTIVE MiniDP to DVI or HDMI connectors. Those can be pricey.

Good question- I'd be interested in seeing some pics of working multi-monitor setups. :clap:

tonymacx86 said:
Good question- I'd be interested in seeing some pics of working multi-monitor setups. :clap:
But I've just wanted to ask you what's your ideas for this. :mrgreen:

Well, my Gigabyte 6850 got 4 working ports under Lion, and there are Boards that support 3xPCIe so in theory 12 monitors should be very much possible with such a card.

The more important question, I think, would be does Lion support 12x1080p resolutions ... that would be a how-wide screen?? :crazy:

Lo, behold: 7x PCIe16 ; MSI Big Bang-XPower II
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Big-Bang-XPower-II.html

As Gordo said, if you use AMD cards, you can get more than 2 streams- NVIDIA for the most part doesn't support more than dual monitors.

So if you have a 5xxx/6xxx Radeon HD, you can get 4 per card. But it depends on the card and the framebuffer.

So possibly would work with 3 Radeon HD 5770, 6670, 6850, 6870 plus HD 3000 on a sandy bridge board. :crazy:

shibirian said:
Well, my Gigabyte 6850 got 4 working ports under Lion, and there are Boards that support 3xPCIe so in theory 12 monitors should be very much possible with such a card.

The more important question, I think, would be does Lion support 12x1080p resolutions ... that would be a how-wide screen?? :crazy:

Lo, behold: 7x PCIe ; MSI Big Bang-XPower II
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Big-Bang-XPower-II.html
28 monitors... LOL. :lol:

Personally, I have the Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850, and this card won't support more than 2 displays with the correct frame buffer being loaded. I know that the Gigabyte 6870 will support all 4 ports, though. I bet you could throw 3 of the 6870's in a machine and not have any problems :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back