Contribute
Register

New VoodooPS2Controller, Keyboard, Trackpad (ClickPad support)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liking 2013-0129 just as is. If I decide to make any adjustments, I'll let you know why and how it worked out. Thanks.

with me as well... will need to get my six year old to play with it and see if she has any trouble with it... but that would just be tweaking config.

Is there anyway to control the amount right click area? Right now, I'd say it's like 60/40 left/right click. Instead of acting like a mouse, I'd like to mimic my MBP where only the bottom right side edge/point is the secondary button when clicked.

Is there anyway to control the amount right click area? Right now, I'd say it's like 60/40 left/right click. Instead of acting like a mouse, I'd like to mimic my MBP where only the bottom right side edge/point is the secondary button when clicked.

This is all configurable in the trackpad's Info.plist. See RightClickZoneLeft, RightClickZoneRight, RightClickZoneBottom, RightClickZoneTop. It defines a rectangle for the right click area. Keep in mind the trackpad 'lives' in cartesian quadrant I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrant_(plane_geometry))

This is all configurable in the trackpad's Info.plist. See RightClickZoneLeft, RightClickZoneRight, RightClickZoneBottom, RightClickZoneTop. It defines a rectangle for the right click area. Keep in mind the trackpad 'lives' in cartesian quadrant I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrant_(plane_geometry))

great. I'll play with that when I get a chance.

what I do notice with the 0129 build is and I'm not sure if it's just me...
I find it easier to do right click when I'm on the home screen. When I'm on a finder window (or browser) and want to right click on a file, I am not able to activate the right click (single click). with 2 finger right click, I'm able to.

great. I'll play with that when I get a chance.

what I do notice with the 0129 build is and I'm not sure if it's just me...
I find it easier to do right click when I'm on the home screen. When I'm on a finder window (or browser) and want to right click on a file, I am not able to activate the right click (single click). with 2 finger right click, I'm able to.

I'm not sure what the "home screen" is, but the right click behavior shouldn't change depending on which app is active... Let me know what you find is the cause.

The values for this config came from birkley. I'm not sure if you two have the same laptop. He had them hard-coded into one of the header files, and I just made them configurable. If you come across some better/recommended values, let me know.

Each trackpad varies when it comes to the range of values the trackpad might report, and although there is a query that can be sent to the trackpad to get these values, I'm finding they are not accurate (at least not on the Probook), so I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. If they were accurate, I could make all these values "auto calculate" depending on what the device reports...

I'm not sure if this is related to your kext or not but I cannot seem to get the wifi LED indicator (on the F12 key) to turn from amber (off) to white (on) even when both wifi and bluetooth are working properly. Do you know what controls that? Is it the keyboard kext? Thanks.

I have the same issue with the probook, sometimes my wifi light works, sometimes not. It doesn't bother me (as long as the wifi works). I think this is likely controlled either at the driver level (on Windows/Linux) or there is some ACPI mechanism. My wifi button actually generates a scan code (you can see it in console running the debug version), but I can't see how that fact does any good (it still turns the wifi on/off).

But I don't know what the exact mechanism is, and I think it may vary from laptop to laptop.

New build uploaded. See first post for the changes and the attachment. This build is now in sync with the latest for the ProBook.

Please try it and provide feedback.

Thanks!

So far, so good. I haven't noticed any big changes - good or bad. The problems I am still having with the PS2 kext have to do with a jumping cursor when typing. However, this is a problem I have in both ML and Win 8. It's the synaptic trackpad that's the problem, not the driver, per se. However, it would be great if a driver setting could reduce the incidents of the cursor jumping around.

Check under System Prefs -> Trackpad -> "Ignore accidental trackpad input". This is what really got me started modifying the voodoo trackpad driver. The original version did not pay any attention to this setting -- it was unusable for me. I've tried to improve this and now I can use it, but there is probably still additional things that could be done. I don't blame the trackpad hardware at all... it's job is to report input as it detects it... it is software that can be smart. Check my change log for some details of how this works, there are some things you can tweak in the Info.plist. For example: ZoneLeft, ZoneRight, ZoneTop, ZoneBottom define a rectangle where "normal input" usually is. There is special code in the driver that pays attention to input outside this zone and tries to ignore it if it is timed closely with keyboard input. And you might try playing with QuietTimeAfterTyping. This determines the time frame after keys are pressed where the driver code is a bit more agressive trying to filter out trackpad input (by default, it is 500ms). And one of the biggest factors is FingerZ, you want to set it low enough that touching is easy and natural, but high enough so that brushing a palm isn't as likely to register as input. But, if you don't have the "Ignore accidental" set, none of this matters.

And also, if you use USB mice, check in System Prefs -> Accessibility -> Mouse and Trackpad -> Ignore Built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present. This is also something new my driver implements. So, at least when you have a mouse plugged in, the trackpad is automatically disabled.

By the way folks, I put a new version attached to original post (02-07a). The only change is that the "Function key" switching if implemented in your Info.plist for the keyboard, actually works.

Edit: Correct version now (at first accidentally put the ProBook version there).

I have the hp envy 4 and would like to know if the momentum 2 finger scrolling is possible? Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back