Contribute
Register

New SSDs added to the recommended list of the Buyer's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back when RehabMan was not burned out, (with sxxxxx questions). 2017, must have been Clover then, for sure.
USB Injectall was up to 2018, El Capitan 2015.... the magic USB 15 change.

Has there been any conclusions on these three Samsung SSDs in Monterey and greater MacOS. None are NVME.

Samsung 850
Samsung 860
Samsung 870

Has there been any conclusions on these three Samsung SSDs in Monterey and greater MacOS
I've not seen any TRIM problems reported with these models. The 900 series NVMe drives have issues.

On my HP ProeDsk 600 G4, I have Win 11 on an NVMe SSD and Ventura on a SATA SSD. The reasoning was that if I messed up the MacOS installation I could take MacOS drive out and work on in it on my other Hack. Would MacOS be significantly snappier if I reversed the OS's?

Would MacOS be significantly snappier if I reversed the OS's?
Not in any major way. The NVMe is a lot faster when working with really large photo and video files or opening up massively large programs. For general everyday usage, the Sata SSDs feel nearly as fast as NVMe drives. It's really nothing like the speed boost when going from a mechanical platter HDD to a high quality Sata SSD with Dram. I did that way back in 2011.

Last edited:
Not in any major way. The NVMe is a lot faster when working with really large photo and video files or opening up massively large programs. For general everyday usage, the Sata SSDs feel nearly as fast as NVMe drives. It's really nothing like the speed boost when going from a mechanical platter HDD to a high quality Sata SSD with Dram. I did that way back in 2011.
Thanks. Looks like I made the right choice. I am very happy with my ProDesk 600 G4 mini.

With regard to my build-in-process: the Dell Optiplex 7060 arrived with the OS (Windows 10 :mad: ) installed on a 256GB NVMe card - designated as the C: drive, the main boot drive.

I've been reading around this place, and a few people have used a Western Digital 750 series NVMe card as the primary boot drive. I'm thinking of doing that too, but I have concerns:

1: if this Just Doesn't Work and fails to install macOS, I think the only loss will be my time. Does anyone think this will also result in damage to hardware? (I doubt it, but Dells have weird architecture.)

2: Dell machines are notoriously under-ventilated (according to some of my correspondents who use Dells), and NVMe cards get rather hot - hot enough to warrant a market with a wide variety of heat sinks and coolers for them. I do NOT want my machine to overheat, so is this still a good plan or should I just stick with a conventional SATA SSD as my primary boot?

I've been reading around this place, and a few people have used a Western Digital 750 series NVMe card as the primary boot drive. I'm thinking of doing that too
Go with the WD SN770 if you're worried about heat. It's the much faster WD SN850X that runs the hottest and must have a heatsink on it. Also you've only got PCIe gen 3.0 so you won't get the crazy fast 5-7000MB/s read and write speeds. Probably 3000 max with an SN770.
Does anyone think this will also result in damage to hardware? (I doubt it, but Dells have weird architecture.)
Not even possible. Installing macOS won't damage anything.

Go with the WD SN770 if you're worried about heat. It's the much faster WD SN850X that runs the hottest and must have a heatsink on it. Also you've only got PCIe gen 3.0 so you won't get the crazy fast 5-7000MB/s read and write speeds. Probably 3000 max with an SN770.

Thanks for the word. Looking at the WD Black 770, 1 TB, still thinking about a heat sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back