Contribute
Register

New Seagate Hybrid Drives, March 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will these drives work on a customac with the usual Gigabyte boards and Mountain Lion?

http://mashable.com/2013/03/05/seagate-sshd/

I love the Hybrid drives. The machine boots fast, programs start fast, and you get storage space unlike SSD's current price points.

I would read a little more about them though. Just to make sure it will do what you need it to do. Good luck.

I have been using Seagate Momentus Hybrid in my old Packard Bell laptop, I have also tried a Crucial SSD drive, the Seagate Momentus appears to me to be working just as fast as the SSD drive. Note that mu PB laptop is an old one probably model 2007 or so, so it does not have a fast SATA 3, probably only SATA 2 but is has the ACHI feature so it runs Mountain Lion perfectly. I still don´t have confidence in the SSD drives (maybe I am outdated :) ) I did have a Mushkin SSD drive that did not last for long and died so I would go for the Hybrid you can get at least 750Gb Seagate and if you are not looking for a lightning speed the the Hybrid is a fine choice. regards
Ural :)

New Seagate Hybrid Drives,

I have been using a 120GB SSD as a boot drive for over a year and have been impressed with the speed but not, of course, the storage capacity. Using a rotary hard disk for all the contents of the home folder (iTunes, Pictures and Documents) is somewhat of a pain. If the Home folder location is changed to another drive both drives have to be connected for the system to work at all, unless an administrator account with near zero home folder contents is added for emergency booting. It seemed that the best way is to keep the home folder on the SSD and have the most recent working files there, and as the drive fills up, the less accessed stuff can be moved to a the HD. It would useful if Mac OS X had a "library" system as in Widows 7/8, that would give easy access to all file locations even if they are in different folders. drives. or network locations. A folder alias for remote folders is a part solution and I searched for a third party app that would do this better, without success.
I thought that a fusion drive would be the answer to achieve both speed and capacity but I've been put off at this stage of Hackintosh development because it seems to be too much trouble with its complicated setup and difficulties with updates.
So, I got a 1GB Seagate Hybrid drive to try and am pleased to say it works nearly as well as the SSD. Booting is now only 6 seconds slower and there is no perceptible difference in the speed of the system in normal operation, and now all is on none place.
I would be interested in hearing other people's experience or comments on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back