Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hey guys so with the recent news about HD4k support etc, I've decided to wait on my ITX build for the time being until there's a shiny new customac recommendation from tony :)

on that note, I do still want to try this out on my old computer that's sitting around and get some practice/experience!

ABIT IP35-E
intel E2160 OC'd to 2.8 Ghz
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 ram (1gb, 2x)
MSI Radeon HD 3870
samsung dvd burner
WDD sata 3.0 HDD 500gb
onboard sound
onboard LAN

The biggest thing I'm worried about is the video card. Found a lot of negative things about it doing research on this site. Most of the posts are very dated though. Does anyone have experience with this video card??? I'm assuming everything else should work pretty much OOB right?

EDIT: on a side note, I have an original tiger disc i can use that came with my macbook... I have a retail disc for the original snow leopard, and I have the downloaded version of Lion for use on this.

hm, i guess no one has any feedback for the HD3870 and other parts in this setup... Maybe I'll try it anyway and see what happens.

If you do think of something please let me know!!

RedZoneOS said:
hey guys so with the recent news about HD4k support etc, I've decided to wait on my ITX build for the time being until there's a shiny new customac recommendation from tony :)

on that note, I do still want to try this out on my old computer that's sitting around and get some practice/experience!

ABIT IP35-E
intel E2160 OC'd to 2.8 Ghz
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 ram (1gb, 2x)
MSI Radeon HD 3870
samsung dvd burner
WDD sata 3.0 HDD 500gb
onboard sound
onboard LAN

The biggest thing I'm worried about is the video card. Found a lot of negative things about it doing research on this site. Most of the posts are very dated though. Does anyone have experience with this video card??? I'm assuming everything else should work pretty much OOB right?

EDIT: on a side note, I have an original tiger disc i can use that came with my macbook... I have a retail disc for the original snow leopard, and I have the downloaded version of Lion for use on this.

Yes, I think you may have a problem with that video card. An old Nvidia card such as 8600GT is better.

Does that motherboard's BIOS allow you to set the SATA mode to AHCI? If so, you can try installing Snow Leopard on it. The Tiger DVD you have won't work since it was designed to work on your Macbook only.

hey so I decided to give this a shot and it didn't work with the HD3870. After OSX install it froze at the initial logon screen. I ran it multiple times while watching the screens and it seemed to freeze at different points, so I couldn't tell if the video card was the culprit.

I then installed an old nvidia 8600 (or something similar, can't remember the exact model). booted up right away into snow leopard. haven't tested anything else yet (audio/ethernet etc), but it seems the HD3870 is a no go.

any suggestions on troubleshooting the video card? This is only a test build so i can get familiar with the process, no worries if I dont have any choice in this matter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back