Contribute
Register

New Nvidia Driver`s For GTX 460/470/480 Card`s Official

Status
Not open for further replies.
vindoan said:
@Jocelyn84
I ran kext utility to rebuild the caches, as per your posts on insanelymac and here. Cinebench scores ~23fps in both cases before and after editing Infolist with MacPro4,1 with GTX 480 device ID.

I do notice that the fan on the EVGA GTX 470 is noticeably louder than the GTX 285. It appears that there doesn't seem to be good fan speed management. I sounds like the fan is either on or off (in sleep mode its off), but there is no gradation in fan speed. I'm not saying fan is running 100%, it just running loud even at idle.

Thanks again. The fan thing sounds weird. My 480 is quiet and I'm idling around 41-42C (35-36C in Windows). I don't game in osX86, so I couldn't tell you how loud/hot it gets.

Lord_Twilight said:
In the next day or so I'm going to try these on a 480, I have to reinstall OSX, not very talented in the ways of getting these things to work the first time and I screwed my install.

Any tips for the reinstall? Should I install with a 9800 GTX first, install these drivers, shut down swap out and start her back up or what? Thanks

Assuming you're using Chameleon 2 RC5, boot up, run the Nvidia package, shut down, and swap out your current card with the 480. It'll work, but even if it doesn't, you can always throw your other card back in.

Jocelyn84 said:
rabbit74 said:
New driver tested on GTX-470 - MSi-Twin-Frozer.

Ran the nvidia install
put in the card
booted and all is good.

Finally. Awesome!

FYi using Chameleon2.0 RC5 - Prerelease

rabbit.

edit/ The 470 feels much faster and better than my GTX-280 but in Cinibench:
GTX-470=25.55-FPS
GTX-280=29.32-FPS

weird.

Are you using Mac Pro 3,1 or 4,1? If you're using 4,1 have you edited your AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist's MacPro4,1 section so power states kick in correctly?

I´ve read that if you use mac pro 3,1, the gpu always run at 100%. is this correct?
I don´t want to fry my video card.

I'm giving up on my EVGA GTX 470 and going back to the GTX 285.

Reason:
-Cinebench didn't improve from GTX 285 (23fps)
-Annoying louder fan noise
-More power consumption and heat
-Crashes Mac when playing World of Warcraft

I might look into the GTX 480, since the driver has the device id for the 480, but does not have it for the 470.

If anybody has a GTX 480 and plays WoW, can you report back? Does it run without crashing, and what kind of performance (resolution, details) are you running with?

vindoan said:
I'm giving up on my EVGA GTX 470 and going back to the GTX 285.

Reason:
-Cinebench didn't improve from GTX 285 (23fps)
-Annoying louder fan noise
-More power consumption and heat
-Crashes Mac when playing World of Warcraft

I might look into the GTX 480, since the driver has the device id for the 480, but does not have it for the 470.

If anybody has a GTX 480 and plays WoW, can you report back? Does it run without crashing, and what kind of performance (resolution, details) are you running with?

Driver has device-id mask for all of 0x6c? and most of 0x6??

EDIT: I was playing in L4D2, Team Fortress and EVE some time without any issues on Mac OS. Card was quiet. My GTX470 starting be little louder only then I play Battlefield Bad Company 2 on Windows. And like a hell with furmark :)

rabbit74 said:
@Jocelyn84

I tried the 4,1 edit and a few other configurations, with and without app..pow..man..kext and got same results in cinebench.

I'll try some more tests later.

Thanks.

rabbit.

Rabbit , i think we have the same card, is it the golden edition of msi twin frozer flashed to a gtx 470?????

I also have the same results in cinebench as you arround 26-27 FPS. I have tried both of the simbios the 3,1 and the 4,1 with the device id.And got the same results with both.

I guess that is the average score for gtx 470s since the 480s give arround 33 FPS.

Jocelyn84 said:
Thanks again. The fan thing sounds weird. My 480 is quiet and I'm idling around 41-42C (35-36C in Windows). I don't game in osX86, so I couldn't tell you how loud/hot it gets.

How do you monitor your temps of the GPU in OSX ???? Do you have the Fakesmc with the plugins?? also what software you are using ???

vindoan said:
@mozo
According to Dreamwatcher's post #985 in this insanelymac thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 219&st=985

QUADRO MAC OS X DRIVER RELEASE 256 include NVDAGF100Hal.kext.

device id that NVDAGF100Hal.kext support is blow. GeForce GTX 580(GF110) is supported!!

0x06c010de // GeForce GTX 480
0x0dc010de
0x0e2010de
0x0ee010de
0x0f0010de
0x104010de
0x108010de // GeForce GTX 580

It's not a mask that is actually used in the driver. Open GF100 info.plist and check if you don't believe me.

Attachments

• ARBCM57780.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 188
I was curious so I loaded up 10.6.4 with the old driver for GTX-285 and ran Cinebench

Results with the old driver are same as the new driver

22.57fps

But, at least there is no vSync issue with the new driver.

rabbit.

finally!

screenshot20101118at120.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back