Contribute
Register

New Nvidia Driver`s For GTX 460/470/480 Card`s Official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely good news!

My 9600GT has pretty bad coil whine and I'm looking to upgrade to a GTX 460 1GB.

@Jocelyn84

Using 3,1

Do you think I would get better results with 4,1 and the kext power mod you suggested?

rabbit.

@Rabbit

I'll run with 3,1 sometime tonight and let you know if there's any difference via edit to this post.

Im having some problems to get my 460 working.
i installed a fresh snow leo .3 (using onboard video) updated to .5 installed new multibeast (easybeast), restarted with gtx 460, installed nvidia drivers, restarted and i get this on my graphics info:

Display:

Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0e22
Revision ID: 0x00a1
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

but if i boot using the iboot cd, i get this:

screenshot20101118at122.png

any ideas?

@lelemm

Run Cinebench both ways and let us know how many FPS you get. If its ~20FPS, everything is most likely working fine. The graphic info generally doesn't matter and other people have reported getting similar info to yours. Also, are you using Mac Pro 4,1 Mac Pro 3,1 Imac etc?

EVGA GTX 470 (P/N: 012-P3-1470-AR) working with nVidia's official drivers.

Steps:
1. Used Multibeast 2.4.1 to install Chameleon 2.0 RC5 prelease
2. Reboot
3. Installed nVidia official driver
4. Shutdown, took out GTX 285, put in GTX 470
5. Boot

Note: I ran Cinebench before and after editing /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist (per Jocelyn84 previous posts) but did not see any difference in Cinebench OpenGL score.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-17 at 7.51.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-11-17 at 7.51.39 PM.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 219
vindoan said:
Note: I ran Cinebench before and after editing /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist (per Jocelyn84 previous posts) but did not see any difference in Cinebench OpenGL score.

Thank you for doing this. It confirms its the same with 4,1 with editing vs. 3,1 without editing. You did run kext utility after making the 4,1 edit right?

@Jocelyn84

I tried the 4,1 edit and a few other configurations, with and without app..pow..man..kext and got same results in cinebench.

I'll try some more tests later.

Thanks.

rabbit.

@Jocelyn84
I ran kext utility to rebuild the caches, as per your posts on insanelymac and here. Cinebench scores ~23fps in both cases before and after editing Infolist with MacPro4,1 with GTX 470 device ID.

I do notice that the fan on the EVGA GTX 470 is noticeably louder than the GTX 285. It appears that there doesn't seem to be good fan speed management. I sounds like the fan is either on or off (in sleep mode its off), but there is no gradation in fan speed. I'm not saying fan is running 100%, it just running loud even at idle.

In the next day or so I'm going to try these on a 480, I have to reinstall OSX, not very talented in the ways of getting these things to work the first time and I screwed my install.

Any tips for the reinstall? Should I install with a 9800 GTX first, install these drivers, shut down swap out and start her back up or what? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back