Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Assuming that in the last period I had some strange issues with Radeon HD 5770 under Windows 10 (GPU used both by Windows10 and OSX 10.6.8, on different boot disks - of course), I'm thinking to change GPU... but, what GPU is suitable for Snow Leopard? I mean, is there a "modern" GPU that can substitute the "old" HD5770?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Assuming that in the last period I had some strange issues with Radeon HD 5770 under Windows 10 (GPU used both by Windows10 and OSX 10.6.8, on different boot disks - of course), I'm thinking to change GPU... but, what GPU is suitable for Snow Leopard? I mean, is there a "modern" GPU that can substitute the "old" HD5770?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Snow Leopard has no support for "modern" GPUs like the RX 560, so I am afraid you will have to keep the 5770 if you want to continue to use Snow Leopard on your machine.

Maybe it is time for you to consider dedicating one machine to Snow Leopard only, and not run Windows on it, so that you won't need to worry about replacing the GPU on it (unless it breaks down).

Thanks for your reply, Jamesbond 007. You made me aware of what I was still suspecting since a while. By the way, it’s not assured that the same GPU has issues under SL. I own other builds with more recent OSX releases, but the build I told about is convenient due to its dual boot.
In any case, I’ll look for a compatible second hand GPU, so I don’t remain stuck.

In any case, I’ll look for a compatible second hand GPU, so I don’t remain stuck.

It may be difficult, as graphics cards of that time have been out of support, and it is very possible any of those cards compatible with Snow Leopard may have problems with recent versions of Windows 10.

That's why I suggest you dedicate that machine to Snow Leopard if you still need to run it. To run recent versions of Windows 10 without significant problems you would probably need more recent graphics cards, but those cards are most likely not compatible with Snow Leopard.

*OFFTOPIC: I own several S1366 builds including MacPro4.1 (flashed as MacPro5.1) and love that hardware generation

Based on Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Graphics card compatibility those cards are
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100
  • ATI Radeon X1300
  • ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
  • ATI Radeon X1600
  • ATI Radeon X1900 XT
  • ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
  • ATI Radeon HD 3870
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
But in fact there are much more!
I'm sure I had a set of nVidia GTX285 in my EX58 built those days, and they even worked OOB.
And I still have one of those GTX285 running now in my archive machine, and windows 10 has no problems with it. The card just doesn't support DX11 & DX12 as well as Metal xD

So you can be sure that any "Tesla" card e.g. GT2xx GTX2xx will suit your needs. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back