Contribute
Register

New Flagship NVIDIA Quadro K6000 GPU Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately Thunderbolt (even Thunderbolt 2) does not have the necessary bandwidth for graphics cards. Remember that basically you are getting a 1x Pci-E 3 lane with Thunderbolt, compared this card needing at least an 8x Pci-E 3 lane. (recommended 16x- but we all know that these cards can't even use that anyway...).

So personally- Thunderbolt is great for HDD's, oh, and HDD's. Maybe an audio interface here and there, but seriously, audio is fine on USB2!!!

TB is 4x PCIe not 1x

Well let me explain. I'm a 3D artist and I have been working on movies, comercials etc.

The new mac pro uses 2x W9000 FirePro. One W9000 have 4 teraflop on single precision and 1 teraflop on double precision. Flop is like horse power on a car. Max power consuption on one W9000 is 275 watt. Quadro K6000 has 5.2 terraflop on single precision and 1.7 terraflop on double precision and max power is 225 watt. Not only the Quadro have more power but also more power per watt so the K6000 is a very power efficient card GPU. Quadro K6000 has 12 GB of vram instead of 6 GB like W9000.

Now if you look to benchmarks you'll notice that every card that has GK110 cip, outperforms every single AMD GPU out there on geometry/tesselation. Just look at unigine results. Unigine is a great benchmark to measure geometric\tessletation potential or power. Comparing W9000 and K6000 in poly pulling power or geometry/tesselation power is like comparing HD 7970 and GTX 780 or GTX Titan. Now if we talk about 3D CAD or DCC software and viewports we well see similar result like unigine. Quadro dominate most of the Specviewperf 11 tests in every review, exept AMD youtube channels obvious :)). Also 90 % of the GPU raytrace engine use CUDA and not OpenCL. The only OpenCL raytrace engine out there that is used on mass post production is vray and AMD has bad support for this app. HD 7970\7950 has poor result compare to nvidia GPUs in vray.

So K6000 has more power in flops, more power per watt, less power consumption, double ram capacity, more poly/geometric/tesselation power and hell... a lot better support from ISVs.

PS. If a GPU has low power consumption automaticaly run cooler and quieter.

Hope I did answer your question. You you need more info just ask.

That depends also. Anyway mac pro is a workstation not a gaming rig. Big mistake apple :(.

MAryus., is the gtx 480 good for maya and those other apps you use? do you have a youtube channel of your works?

GTX 480 and all Fermi cards works well with maya viewport 2 both win and OSX. In default viewport, Fermi is not that good. Donno why, but Fermi has a strange glitch using older OpenGL versions. GTX 600 or 700 series known as Kepler works flawless in both viewports.

Now I have GTX 580 and I'm using only viewport 2 inside maya. In the rest of the apps like Mari, Mudbox, zbrush, 3Dmax etc GTX 480 will do great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back