Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

I am planning to build my first Hackintosh based on the new ivy bridge platform
which are coming out within 2-3 weeks from now.
(Motherboard and GPU, CPU not until April 29)

Hardware

Already purchased
Sony AD-7261S-0B 24x Internal DVDRWRAM SATA Black Lightscribe
Corsair CSSD-F60GBGT-BK Force Series 60GB Solid State Drive ( Mac OS X, Lion)
Corsair CSSD-P364GB2-BRKT 64GB Solid State Drive ( Windows 7 )
Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
OCZ OCZ700MXSP-UK 700W ModXStream Pro Power Supply

About to purchase
Motherboard ?
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product ... id=4153#ov
OR
Asus P8Z77-V http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... 55/P8Z77V/
CPU i7 3770k
GPU New Nvidia GTX 660 Ti or GTX 670

I have seen some discussion about unsupported audio chip in the new gigabyte z77, dose it means that I will need to buy the high end board in order to get LAN and audio working.
And the graphic dilemma, according to some forums the GTX 670 is 10% faster than HD7970 and will cost around the £330 or $499 +/- which is the price of HD7950 today
Can anyone suggest about my build in overall specially the motherboard, what should I choose for Ivy bridge Hackintosh,
Thanks.

Until the new Ivy Bridge Mac's come out stay away from these things.

Mate94 said:
Until the new Ivy Bridge Mac's come out stay away from these things.

+1 ...He is in for a long wait.....

I plan to do something similar, but I'm definitely going with a Z68 chipset. They are already supported and compatible with Ivy Bridge.

My plan had been to get a PCIe 3.0 capable board then put an Ivy chip in later, but the board I got from Newegg was falsely advertised as 3.0 capable, so I'm RMAing it and the CPU (which they're allowing since it's their problem). Having cash in hand, I'll just put in a 3570K in April.

The trick is to find a Gigabyte mobo that is actually 3.0 capable. Most have been revised to support PCIe 3.0, but actually purchasing a particular revision is difficult. I'm almost inclined to truck down to Frys.

Anyway, Z77 doesn't have much on Z68, and won't be supported for a while. I'm optimistic that Ivy will work OOB, although it might not.

jamdox said:
I plan to do something similar, but I'm definitely going with a Z68 chipset. They are already supported and compatible with Ivy Bridge.

My plan had been to get a PCIe 3.0 capable board then put an Ivy chip in later, but the board I got from Newegg was falsely advertised as 3.0 capable, so I'm RMAing it and the CPU (which they're allowing since it's their problem). Having cash in hand, I'll just put in a 3570K in April.

The trick is to find a Gigabyte mobo that is actually 3.0 capable. Most have been revised to support PCIe 3.0, but actually purchasing a particular revision is difficult. I'm almost inclined to truck down to Frys.

Anyway, Z77 doesn't have much on Z68, and won't be supported for a while. I'm optimistic that Ivy will work OOB, although it might not.

All boards (i.e Z68 and H67, P67 has flaky support) that have Ivy Bridge support have PCIE 3 support because the PCIE controller is built into the CPU, therefore you won't be able to use PCIE 3 until the processors come out. With those Z68 boards its just a case of getting a motherboard BIOS update.

With regard to the OP, I'd stay away from Ivy Bridge if you want to build a hackintosh because you may buy into a platform that no one can get OSX to work on.

Plus, I doubt that kepler will ever be supported, since apple started using amd gpus.

humanoidal said:
Plus, I doubt that kepler will ever be supported, since apple started using amd gpus.
It will be supported just like the GTX 5XX series... :rolleyes:

Mate94 said:
humanoidal said:
It will be supported just like the GTX 5XX series... :rolleyes:

That took a LONG time to be supported fully, with us only getting full acceleration easily within the last month.

To the OP:

Z77 nor Kepler has been released. It will take MONTHS before they are fully compatible, if at all. We won't know until they come out. Going with the current generation stuff (Z68, GTX5xx, AMD 6xxx) is much easier at this point.

While Ivy will be needed for PCIe 3 support, there are also motherboard components
that need to be updated. See here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Getting-Educated-on-the-Status-of-PCI-E-30/1448

That is why, if you look at the Gigabyte website, you'll see a bunch of "Rev 1.3" boards. This is also why you can't trust Newegg on this one, they take any board that has a revision available and market it as revised, even if it's rev 1.0!

AnandTech has a comparison of several Z77 based boards. Gigabyte has moved to:
Onboard LAN Atheros
Onboard Audio Via VT2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back