Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there

Since MacPro are too old and expensive, I don't like glossy screens and not user-upgradable drives and MacMini does not perform enough, I'm about to setup a Hackintosh.

Target application is lot of Lightroom and some Photoshop. Furthermore, I not very patient when it comes to waiting for computers...

I'd go for a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH (due to Thunderbolt, Bluethooth and WLAN) combined with a Intel Core i7-3770K. RAM I will be max out to 32GB using 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3. This hardware is according the CustoMac Pro Build.

Question 1:

Before buying a new Graphic Card I'd either like to check out wether the on-board graphic is enough for me. Will the on-board graphic work without any further mods or workarounds?

Question 2:
Is there a possibility to get my existing ATI Radeon HD3600 work with the Gigabyte Mainboard and 10.8?

My first try will be connecting a 40GB 10000 WD Raptor and make the setup this way. I do not expect any troubles when using a "standard" HDD. If everything goes smooth, I'll remove the Intel SSD 520series from my Mac Mini 2011 and have it installed in my Hackintosh

Question 3:
Will it work to setup on a SSD530series?

Thank you in advance for your support!!

Kind regards
Chris

Any SSD will work. Integrated graphics suck in my opinion, so go with a dedicated gpu from Nvidia, I'd say 6xx.

Thank you for your post

What do you mean by writing "integrated graphic sucks"? Does it slow down the system or do you mean other side effects?

Furthermore - do you think for Photoshop (and lightroom) a GT 640 (e.g. passive Gigabyte) would fit or would you recommend a GTX 660 (costs 4-5 times more). Cost is not an issue, if there's a good reason to spend more money!

Thank you again for all your advice(s)

Question 1:

Before buying a new Graphic Card I'd either like to check out wether the on-board graphic is enough for me. Will the on-board graphic work without any further mods or workarounds?

Yes. If the CPU has HD3000 or HD4000 graphics it works OOB.

Question 2:
Is there a possibility to get my existing ATI Radeon HD3600 work with the Gigabyte Mainboard and 10.8?

I doubt it. The onboard HD4000 is a step up from the HD3600 - according to comparison chart on Tom's Hardware, HD4000 = nVidia 8600GS, 8600GT and AMD HD3650 DDR3 and HD3670

My first try will be connecting a 40GB 10000 WD Raptor and make the setup this way. I do not expect any troubles when using a "standard" HDD. If everything goes smooth, I'll remove the Intel SSD 520series from my Mac Mini 2011 and have it installed in my Hackintosh

Shouldn't encounter any problems there.

Question 3:
Will it work to setup on a SSD530series?

Yes, any SSD will work, just as any HDD will work (except some HDDs like the WD Greens where you have to manually install the boot files...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back