Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone I'm quite new to this 'hackintosh' thing, I tried my luck on a Packard Bell J2412 using the Iboot and Multibeast method.
I've got quite far, the sound, disk drives, usb all work fine. I installed an ATI Radeon HD 4650 and have got that working 100%.

Only two issues now...

The onboard ethernet is a Realtek 8139 and it works but with really slow performance and with a constant stream of 'RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart' errors every second. I've tried all the different methods and kext files to try and fix the problem but to no avail. So I've disabled it in the bios and I plan to buy another card.

Any suggestions on a card that'll work pretty much straight out the box?

The other issue is the whole system runs smoothly but now and again it'll freeze/lock up and I'll have to reach for the power button! It seems random, as in I'll click something as simple as the finder in the dock and it'll beachball. Then its hard reset time. This is what I got from the console the last time it occurred:

Code:
01/08/2011 06:19:52	DiskImages UI Agent[254]	*** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection or ports are invalid
01/08/2011 06:19:52	[0x0-0x1d01d].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[244]	2011-08-01 06:19:52.611 DiskImages UI Agent[254:903] *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection or ports are invalid
01/08/2011 06:21:35	com.apple.Finder[152]	Mon Aug  1 06:21:35 Chriss-Mac-Pro.local Finder[152] <Error>: kCGErrorInvalidConnection: CGSGetSurfaceBounds: Invalid connection
01/08/2011 06:21:35	com.apple.Finder[152]	Mon Aug  1 06:21:35 Chriss-Mac-Pro.local Finder[152] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
01/08/2011 06:21:35	com.apple.Finder[152]	Mon Aug  1 06:21:35 Chriss-Mac-Pro.local Finder[152] <Error>: kCGErrorInvalidConnection: CGSGetSurfaceBounds: Invalid connection
01/08/2011 06:24:44	com.apple.launchd[1]	*** launchd[1] has started up. ***
01/08/2011 06:25:10	com.apple.WindowServer[77]	Mon Aug  1 06:25:10 Chriss-Mac-Pro.local WindowServer[77] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
01/08/2011 06:26:55	com.apple.launchd[1]	(com.apple.xprotectupdater[19]) Exited with exit code: 255
01/08/2011 06:29:57	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[112]	(com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
01/08/2011 06:30:01	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[112]	(com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[132]) Exited with exit code: 1

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also just to say, this forums got some great advice on it, I wouldn't be this far with out it! Keep up the good work guys!

Cheers

Any ideas?

I'm so close to having a stable sytem! I used the easybeast settings,

I don't really know enough about DSDT's but would a custom DSDT make a difference ?

DiskImages UI

Just guessing, do you have any mounted drives that OSX can't read? maybe a bad hard drive? bad connection/port? SATA? IDE?

Any suggestions on a card that'll work pretty much straight out the box?

Check out the Hardware Wiki.

Thanks for the reply!

I had a harddrive plugged in via USB for a time machine backup, but the system seems to freeze regardless of if this is plugged in or not.

One thing to note, not sure if it is an issue, but my bios did not have a ACHI mode, and I read that the RAID setting can include the ACHI mode, so i changed it to that and it all installed fine. Could this cause any of these errors ?

I'll have a read of the wiki, cheers!

It still seems to be freezing/hanging leading to a reboot with the power button. These occurrences seem to be completely random, it normally beach balls and then freezes, but the cursor can still be used.

I noticed a couple of things in console, it doesn't seem to log any particular errors when the freeze happens but on reboot this appears in the log: npvhash 4095

and this as well: previous shutdown cause: 3

The system runs quite smoothly other than these random freezes.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Don't wanna have to go back to windows!

benmandv said:
It still seems to be freezing/hanging leading to a reboot with the power button. These occurrences seem to be completely random, it normally beach balls and then freezes, but the cursor can still be used.

I noticed a couple of things in console, it doesn't seem to log any particular errors when the freeze happens but on reboot this appears in the log: npvhash 4095

and this as well: previous shutdown cause: 3

The system runs quite smoothly other than these random freezes.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Don't wanna have to go back to windows!

Did you manage to fix this problem? i have the same log message, after freeze.

Must be a kext you installed that causes the problem.
Can you list what options you selected exactly, extra kexts installed etc.?

You can view in system profiler (software) which kexts are loaded.
Also console is a powerfull program, to view your logs.

Hope that you can find what causes this...

psydafke said:

the only kexts which might be doing this RadeonHD or fakesmc. thats all i've got which is non mac. i'm using dsdt. it might also be the applecomputerpowermanagement.
the only message i'm getting after crash is that npvhash=4095

montiniz said:
psydafke said:

the only kexts which might be doing this RadeonHD or fakesmc. thats all i've got which is non mac. i'm using dsdt. it might also be the applecomputerpowermanagement.

Even real macs have it...
Maybe stupid, but try this from apple's discussion forum:
I had this happen a lot recently, and it turned out to be a problem with bad fonts. For me, OS X would suddenly become unresponsive - often while waking from sleep - and have to be shut down with a hard reset. No crashes, crash logs or anything.

Are you running MS Office or have you installed MS Office?

Here is what fixed it - this is a tip from another thread which I can't find right now:
- Open Fontbook.app
- Select all Fonts
- Select Validate Fonts in the File menu
- Disable all fonts that have any errors (even minor errors)
- Do it again! until there are no more fonts that have any errors. For some reason, I found more the second time around, but the third time it was all clean.

In the fonts with errors, look out for the error "duplicate font". Apparently, that's what is causing OS X to freeze. On my machine, all the fonts I removed had been installed by MS Office 2008 beta.

Since I did that - no more freezes! So it might be worth a try.
Might be useful to try!

greetz,

D.

psydafke said:
montiniz said:
psydafke said:

Even real macs have it...
Maybe stupid, but try this from apple's discussion forum:
I had this happen a lot recently, and it turned out to be a problem with bad fonts. For me, OS X would suddenly become unresponsive - often while waking from sleep - and have to be shut down with a hard reset. No crashes, crash logs or anything.

Are you running MS Office or have you installed MS Office?

Here is what fixed it - this is a tip from another thread which I can't find right now:
- Open Fontbook.app
- Select all Fonts
- Select Validate Fonts in the File menu
- Disable all fonts that have any errors (even minor errors)
- Do it again! until there are no more fonts that have any errors. For some reason, I found more the second time around, but the third time it was all clean.

In the fonts with errors, look out for the error "duplicate font". Apparently, that's what is causing OS X to freeze. On my machine, all the fonts I removed had been installed by MS Office 2008 beta.

Since I did that - no more freezes! So it might be worth a try.
Might be useful to try!

greetz,

D.

i already tried validating font book it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back